Chapter Eighteen: Theo

After raising the alarm and spreading the word that we were being invaded, I hurried back to the captain to receive my orders. I rushed through the dimly lit corridors, passing other soldiers and maids, all in a hurry like me. This attack was quite abrupt, obviously, and no one seemed to know what to do. Honestly, we didn't even know why we were being attacked.

As I passed down another hallway, I noticed someone running out of one of the rooms. He was dressed strangely and I didn't remember seeing him around the castle before.

He didn't seem to notice me and I decided to follow him. I wanted to make sure he wasn't one of the invaders. I hadn't thought they had gotten this far in the castle, but I couldn't be sure. Plus, Adira's room was only a few doors down through another hallway and I also wanted to make sure she was safe.

The person went into another room and I decided to follow. By now, I realized he was up to no good and he seemed to be searching for something. I knew he had to be one of the invaders, because he certainly wasn't a soldier in the castle. Or anything else for that matter.

I stopped at the doorway to the room and unsheathed my sword, keeping an eye on the man as he rifled through the room. But as he turned to leave the room, he froze.

Then, in the blink of an eye, he had unsheathed his own knife and swung it at me. I wasn't expecting that, and stumbled back a step, gripping my sword with both hands now.

The man swung his knife at me again, this time it was much harder. He was surprisingly more stronger than I had first assumed and I could barely push his knife back.

As I managed to push the man a step or two backwards, he creased his eyebrows in concentration before pushing back at me.

I was made to back up until we were in the hallway. This man wasn't giving me any leeway so I knew I had to get some help. Quickly, I yelled out, "Guards!" Effectively alerting the men standing at attention nearby that I was in need of some backup.

I heard footsteps echo along the hallway and was swiftly greeted by two other soldiers. They quickly assessed the situation before pulling out their own swords and joining the fight. They pushed the man back enough where I could get a good swing in at him. He barely managed to dodge my blow as he was slowly forced back towards the wall.

In his one eye that I could see, since the other one was covered by a black cloth that served as an eyepatch, he seemed to realize that he couldn't win the fight, or at least that is what I assumed he was thinking. The man was obviously outmatched and outnumbered.

oOoh. What is this? Hope you guys are all enjoying it thus far. :)

Theo - Ithildae