• Chapter fifty-one: Do it for me

Start from the beginning

The feeling of concern floods through me, "Who? What did they say?"

Alex lets out a small cough, "Just some people who keep saying that they don't believe that I'm bi 'cause I'm too straight passing, and that I'm using you, and it's really pissing me off 'cause they don't know anything."

This makes me feel sad because I know how much he has struggled, and I find myself frowning, "Oh, love—"

Then he seems to crack.

"They have no idea how hard it was to come out. Like, I know I did it so nonchalantly, but still, I was terrified. Then my dad kicking me out for it, and me being in love with you, only to be told that people don't think my love is authentic. It just fucks with me because I really do love you and I'm very sure of my sexuality. I mean, if I'm not bi then I'd be gay. I'm definitely not straight and," He lets out a sound of frustration. "why can't people just fucking believe me?"

"People have been telling me to be weary of you and I ignore them because I know I don't need to be. I'm pretty sure that they're the same people that have been messaging you. You know your sexuality and that our love is authentic, so you shouldn't give a crap about what others think. This is our relationship. What matters is what we think of each other. Those people don't know shit, alright? I know you get riled up about things but try not to let it get to you," I tell him. I run my fingers through his hair because he likes it when I do that. "Is there anything else bothering you?"

"Just my mom," He lets me know. He's been depressed about his mother ever since she blocked him, which was nine days ago.

I say depressed and not just sad because I genuinely think he has some sort of depression about all of this. He's bound to. The people who were supposed to love him more than anything were the ones that hurt him the most. Abused him. Made his heart break constantly without allowing him to heal it. I'm not sure it will ever be fully healed.

I still don't understand why Mrs Montgomery blocked her son and my own mother has tried to get into contact with her, but nothing has come from it. She's completely retreated away and no one knows where or who with. We can only hope that she is somewhere safe.

"I think you should see a counsellor about your parent situation," I say truthfully as I put my keys in the ignition.

Therapy helped me until my parents couldn't afford it anymore, so I'm sure counselling would help Alex. He needs the help and he's not getting it. The police have offered him victim counselling but he refused and I really don't think he should have.

Of course I don't want to pressure him into doing anything that he's not comfortable with, but I think that he should at least attend two sessions just to see if he likes it because he won't know until he tries. If he doesn't like it or it doesn't help, he can stop and I will always support him through that. I'll still support him if he continues to say no.

Alex's gaze is back on something beside him out of the window, "No, I don't think so."

"You're obviously struggling. I want to help you, but I'm not properly qualified enough to do so, no matter how much I love you. You need the help, and I want you to feel alright. Just one session to see if it's for you."

He looks down at his lap and sucks in a breath. He looks entirely dejected and it makes me feel dejected myself. I hate it seeing him like this. "I'm supposed to be strong."

"Seeing a counsellor doesn't make you weak," I say. I take no offence to what he said, yet to prove a point, I still add, "Are you saying I'm not strong because I went to therapy?"

"No, angel, you're so strong. I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that," He's quick to assure me, taking my hand in his again and kissing the back of it.

"Asking for help is something that takes a considerable about of strength. It took me so long to even tell someone how I was feeling. You're halfway there. If you want, I'll come with you and I'll sit in the waiting room, or I'll even come in the room with you, it's up to you. But just know that I will be here, OK? If not for you, do it for me. Please."