Chapter eight: Lucy Chung

"You create your thoughts,
your thoughts create your intentions & your intentions create your reality." —Wayne Dyer.

𝙇𝙪𝙘𝙮 𝘾𝙝𝙪𝙣𝙜

𝙇𝙪𝙘𝙮 𝘾𝙝𝙪𝙣𝙜

The following Monday, I find myself begging in my chemistry teacher to let me stop with this whole tutoring bullshit overall or at least change tutors.

After our first session, I don't particularly fancy being tutored by a person who threatened to embarrass me by telling the school that I had an anxiety attack, and then when I confronted him about it the next day, he didn't care at all. I don't see why anyone would give two shits that I had one, but it's still a horrible thing to do.

I did think about it over the weekend, despite the argument between Alex and I after that class. I wondered if I overreacted, but my mind always drifted back how Alex has treated me since I joined the school. He's capable of worse that embarrassing me about my anxiety, so it's no doubt he'd do worse if we carried on.

In addition to this, whatever Alex tells his friends is funny, they then automatically find it humorous too, so it wouldn't just be Alex shaming me about it. They find anything he says funny, anyway. Like yesterday in class when he used the word queer, for example.

Regardless of what it is, they will always find a way to make the issue tormenting. Anxiety attacks are no big deal and are something that people would usually not think twice about when told a person they hardly know had one. However, Alex and his gang would somehow twist it into something laughable and shameful. I don't want to go through that.

The thing is, my teacher won't let me change tutors and no matter how much I beg, he won't budge. Teachers are supposed to care, but they don't. Does Preston even think to process why I might be asking? Bullying is a real problem. I'm not saying Alex is bullying me, but he might be for all Mr Preston knows. He's contradicting the whole message the school puts out everywhere.

Before I joined the school, a girl in 9th grade killed herself due to being severely bullied by a group of older students. Ever since that happened, the school has been extremely strict about bullying. It has introduced a whole mental health system thing, and that is why they try to encourage everyone to see the school's guidance counsellor now and then even if we don't have anything wrong with us. That's what I did yesterday.

However, the teachers seem to ignore that entirely. They don't care if a student is picking on another in their class, right in front of them. All they care about is getting through the day so they can go home. That teacher who stood up for me was a one off. Chances are, I will never run into a teacher like her again.

"I'm sorry, but you're not changing your tutor. If you don't go through with it, then I'm afraid I'll have to put you both into detention for a month for defiance. Even if it's only one of you not turning up without valid explanation, I will still sanction you." He says, looking at me through his glasses which he puts on the end of his nose instead of the bridge like ordinary people.