Chapter forty-one: Happiness is priority

𝙃𝙖𝙥𝙥𝙞𝙣𝙚𝙨𝙨 𝙞𝙨 𝙥𝙧𝙞𝙤𝙧𝙞𝙩𝙮

Just as I imagined, the apartment complex Alex is to move into is big and looks like someplace a person as wealthy as Alex would live in, which is fitting for obvious reasons.

I admit, I stereotype. Not with everything, I'm not a horrible person, but I will say I do with some things. I guess everyone is like that in some way or another. So here I am, admitting that I make assumptions about rich people.

Upon walking into the fancy apartment complex, I expect to see a whole bunch of nasty rich people walking about with a scowl on their faces and their noses pointed into the air, as though everything around them is pungent. I could say that I shouldn't have thought like that because of how different Alex is to that, but in all honesty, before we got together, Alex did seem full of himself. However, everyone that I come across appears cordial and smiley.

The place is bright, airy and surprisingly friendly.

When you walk in, sat at a high desk, there is a woman. On this desk is a bunch of flowers in a vase. I'm not sure what the woman is there for, but she seems well-disposed nonetheless.

Next to this desk are small lockers which I'm not sure of the purpose of either. Maybe mail or parcels? There's a lot I don't know and a lot Alex needs to educate me on. I have never lived, or even stepped foot, in an apartment in my life. I see a lot of them on T.V., though.

"What are the lockers for?" I ask Alex.

"Parcels and stuff," He replies absentmindedly. It's nice to know that I was correct.

"Why can't they deliver it at your door?"

"For security reasons," He states, like it's obvious. His bluntness of the answer makes me feel slightly more dumber than I already feel on a daily basis.

I hum in response, pursing my lips, "How does it work?"

"If someone needs to deliver a parcel that's not too big and doesn't need to be signed, they give it into the front desk and tell them the apartment number so then whoever's at the front desk will put the parcel in the correct locker. Letters can easily be put in the lockers by the mail people. Every ten apartments share one as they obviously can't have four hundred lockers."

"Oh, right. Makes sense."

On the left is a seating area. By that I mean a bunch of white coloured couches with coffee tables in front of them, facing a T.V., which is currently playing the news. I conclude that this area is most likely a place where you would wait for someone instead of having to go right up to their apartment. There's even a hot drink machine. I don't know if seating areas like this are prevalent or not, but I've never seen them on T.V. before.

We can't go through the next set of doors until Alex gets out a key card and he scans it through something, which then flashes green, and the door is unlocked.