Chapter forty: I'm OK with this

𝙄'𝙢 𝙊𝙆 𝙬𝙞𝙩𝙝 𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙨

𝙄'𝙢 𝙊𝙆 𝙬𝙞𝙩𝙝 𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙨

It had been a good few weeks since Alex told me that he found an apartment. And now, after near enough to a month of living with us, the time Alex is living with us is coming to a close, and very soon, he will be moving out.

What I didn't know when he told me about a new apartment found for him was that this is not an apartment he was buying, instead is one his Aunt, who is currently living in South Africa, gave him. When she moved from America to Africa, she never sold the apartment and, as an alternative, kept it to stay in when she comes back to visit America.

Alex knew this and contacted her, not to buy the apartment off of her but to see if he could temporarily use it. Even though my mum said Alex could stay at ours for as long as needed, he didn't want to intrude for too long as he still feels terrible about it. Nothing we could say would change his mind so he contacted his aunt and, to his surprise, she told him that he could make the apartment his altogether as long as she could stay with him when she came to visit the country.

To be honest, I completely lack knowledge about this whole passing on a tenancy to another person thing, which Alex told me was different from buying it off her. All they needed to do was some stuff which then meant that all the money stuff would be paid for by Alex as he's way too stubborn to let anyone help him with it and will only accept any help when he definitely needs it, and that the apartment would be in his name. It takes longer than I expected it would, more so because his aunt is in Africa, I think. I don't know.

I have to say, Alex is richer than I thought. I always knew that he had a fair bit of money, but Alex is a seventeen-year-old who is going to live on his own while paying all the bills, fees, insurance, whatever he needs to pay for, himself. And he's doing this without struggle, he's got his aunt's help anyway, because he has the money to do that—a seventeen-year-old.

He's incredibly privileged to have grown up in such a wealthy family.

There is $150 in my bank account at most; God knows how much is in his.

I guess that's sad to think about, to be honest. Alex shouldn't be going off to live on his own, having to pay everything out of his own pockets, when he's only a junior in high school, regardless of how much money he has.

It seems so unfair and the fact that his dad doesn't give a single shit, being the person who forced this upon him, is incredibly cruel. And his mum as well. She's not harsh, and I know she had to struggle through the abuse Alex endured as well; however, she has not made any effort to help her son. My mum has made it her unofficial job to help with that, especially as she understands what it's like to lack motherly love when it's needed the most.