All The Right Moves- Chapter 38

Start from the beginning

After about 45 minutes, El and I had gone through almost all the games and I genuinely forgot about everything else going on.

It was refreshing.

"You such at basketball now! You never let me beat you before," El Squealed plopping on the chair across from me as she tore into the cheese pizza on the table.

I laughed grabbing the cotton candy I bought earlier from her, "It's called feeling bad for you El. Don't get used to it!" I joked.

She rolled her eyes, "Yeah, yeah! Whatever."

I laughed, before taking a sip of my fruit punch.

El fidgeted with her bracelets on her wrist.

I shot her a look, "What's on your mind?"

She bit her lip before replying, "I just wanted to say sorry for everything. I know that I don't have to but I feel that I need to. I'm so happy that we're both okay."

I gave her a soft smile, "Well you never need to apologize for what happened. I'd do it all over again if I had to."

I meant every word.

She laughed, "I think the only good thing about what happened is the fact that we get a new house. I don't think I could stand to go back there" She stated shivering.

"Have you been alright since the accident?" I asked.

I know our recoveries have been different, but El experienced trauma at such a young age.

Surely she had to be experiencing sorts of emotions since.

She nodded her head slowly before sipping on her drink.

"I'll be a lot better once you regain your memory," she let out.

I shot her a sad look.

"If I regain my memory," I corrected.

With each passing week, doctors grew less hopeful that my memories would resurface.

I was starting to believe them too.

"No Charlie, you will remember again. You didn't save me and my friends for you to forget how totally cool you were doing it. There's no way," she added.

I laughed, "Hey, don't worry about that. I remember how badass I am every day." I said winking.

That caused her to laugh, "You got that right."

I shot her a smile trying to lighten the mood.

"Finish that pizza and so that I can crush you in air hockey," I stated shooting her a wink.

"Oh you're on!" She replied giggling.

************************************************

After dropping El off, I decided to drive longer than normal, wanting to clear my head.

I drove around Auburn for a bit and found peace at the familiar streets.

My home.

This was what I knew best.

I let out a deep breath.

At least I didn't lose all of my memories and my home was something no one could take away.

I gripped my steering wheel a bit harder as I found myself driving through my old neighborhood.

I smiled as I continued driving along the street.

This was where we all grew up.

I continued driving down and immediately gasped at the sight in front of me.

Drew's old house was completely burnt down.

My body immediately broke out into goosebumps.

Parking the car, I walked out and faced the grim sight in front of me.

Oh god, the place was completely gone.

I didn't realize how bad the fire had actually been, only knew what I was told.

How I survived this was beyond me.

"Glad to see you're okay!" I heard someone say, startling me.

"Sorry, didn't mean to scare you." The lady said walking closer to me.

"I'm sorry, do I know you?" I asked confused.

"I'm the Underwood's neighbors. I came out to help the night of the fire. Well help is a little of a stretch, you basically did it all that night," The lady said.

I shot her a soft smile, "Yeah, I'm okay thank you."

She shot me a genuine smile and stared at the bits of the house that was left with me in silence.

"According to the Underwood's, the Insurance company is saying that nothing could be salvaged due to the extensive damage. They're going to start demolition and rebuilding sometime next month." She said breaking the silence.

"I'm really happy to see you're alright though! That night was pretty traumatic for all of us," She stated.

Traumatic for sure.

"Well, I just wanted to come out and check in. Hope you take care of yourself," she stated before scurrying off into her house.

"Thank you, you as well," I told her as she walked away. The home was out of a haunted movie. It was destroyed beyond repair.

I thanked God I had made it out of that mess. I may not be able to remember the accident or anything prior, but maybe that was a blessing in disguise.

Everything happens for a reason.