Part 15

The room was hazy and the pain was intense when Peyton opened her eyes. She was unsure of where she was and what had happened, all the details were a blur to her. She tried to move her head and instantly regretted it. 

"Fuck," she mumbled to herself, "What the hell happened?" 

She winced in pain, she was sure her jaw was broken.

"Morning sunshine," she heard someone say to her left. She tried to look over but it wasn't happening. 

"Careful." 

"Can you move closer? So I can see you?" Peyton asked, pretty sure that Happy was beside her. She tried to smile when Happy leaned over her and smiled. 

"Glad to see you are awake sweetheart," Happy said gruffly but quietly. 

"What happened Hap? How long was I out?" Peyton asked with difficultly, "It feels like my jaw is broken, but it obviously isn't if I am talking to you." 

"A lot of shit went down Peyton," Happy replied, his demeanor changing as he spoke, "Your jaw isn't broken, but it is definitely bruised badly. You have been unconscious for 4 days."

Peyton couldn't believe that she had been out that long. Happy sat down on the bed so that she could see him. She looked at him and he looked tired, more haggard than usual and even a little sad.

"You have a major concussion and there was a lot of swelling in your brain," Happy said quietly, reaching for her hand and holding it tightly, "There was no damage done where Justin stabbed you in the stomach. They stopped the bleeding and stitched you up. You have a few broken ribs and 25 stitches down the length of your arm."

It wasn't until Happy had mentioned everything to her that she realized how much pain she was really in. 

"Hap, can you get the nurse?" Peyton said quietly, closing her eyes and trying to shut out the pain. 

"You doing ok Peyton?" he asked, looking closely at her. Peyton shook her head in response. The pain in her head was excrutiating. Happy leaned in and kissed her on the forehead before he got up and left the room.

She laid her head back against the pillow and kept her eyes closed. She couldn't remember anything after Justin had smashed the bathroom door against her face. After that there was a black hole. She wished that Happy would tell her what was going on. Tell her what had gone down at the hotel. Was Juice ok? What was going to happen with her boys? There were so many questions she needed the answers to, but she was in so much pain she could barely concentrate.

She tried to turn her head slightly when she heard a knock on the door. 

"Come in," she called out, unable to move her head. 

"Hey beautiful girl," she heard Tara say from the doorway, "I'm so happy to see you awake." 

"Tara, I need something. The pain is horrendous," Peyton said quietly, the tears falling slowly down her face, "I can't move my head and I can't move my body to get comfortable." 

"I've got some morphine for you," Tara said quietly, wiping the tears away, "The pain will go away in no time."

Tara sat down on the bed so Peyton could see her and Peyton could see exhaustion and sadness in her eyes. Peyton held her hand open and Tara grabbed it. 

"I'm so sorry Peyton," Tara said quietly, "I wish there was something I could do to take this all away." 

Peyton tried to smile at her. 

"Tara I'm really tired," Peyton said, "I need to sleep." 

Tara nodded her head in agreement. Tara moved up so she was leaning against the back of the bed and Peyton laid her head against Tara's shoulder. She was glad that her best friend was there with her right now. Even though she didn't have the answers that she wanted or needed, she felt at peace and she felt comforted. She kept holding Tara's hand and closed her eyes.