Part 14

Jax and Tara both turned and stared at the doctor like he had a second head and Gemma's eyes bugged out of her head. 

"Excuse me?" Jax asked, "What the hell does that mean? Juice doesn't have a son." 

"Not according to this," the doctor said, handing him a piece of paper. With that the doctor left the room and left them to deal with this new development.

Jax read through the letter and he couldn't believe what he was reading. 

"Holy Shit!" Jax exclaimed, wincing as pain shot through his body, "Evander is Juice's son! 

Peyton kept it from him for 4 years!" 

"I'm sure she didn't keep it from him on purpose," Gemma replied, trying to defend Peyton. 

Jax turned and looked at his mother. 

"Did you know?" he asked her curiously. Gemma nodded her head. 

"I found out this morning Jax," Gemma replied, "I wasn't keeping anything from you. I actually wanted to talk to you about it. I wondered if you knew." 

"Does it look like I knew?" he questioned her, getting agitated, "Why the hell would she keep something like that from him?"

Both Gemma and Tara looked at Jax like he was an idiot. 

"What?" he asked loudly, lifting his hands up in defeat. 

"Look who she was married to," Tara stated incredulously, "I would keep it a secret too." 

"Jax, if she would have told Juice, could you imagine the danger Peyton would have been in?" Gemma asked her son, "She did the best she could and she told Juice when she could. If any of us know Peyton at all, this was not a secret she wanted to keep." 

Jax looked down at his hands and knew they were right. Peyton was protecting both her son and herself and she did the best she could despite the situation she was in.

"Well now how do we get the boys here?" Jax asked, "They can't stay in Calgary with their foster parents. They need to be here with us." 

"It's already taken care of baby," Gemma replied. 

Jax and Tara looked over at her. 

"I called Jenny, the Social Worker working on Peyton's case," Gemma said, "She also happens to be their foster mom. She is dealing with paper work today and going to court tomorrow and she will be flying the kids out the day after tomorrow." 

"How is she able to get the kids across the border and bring the children to complete strangers?" Tara asked curiously. 

"Peyton listed Dave and Joyce, me and Juice as guardians should anything happen to her," Gemma replied, "That girl is smarter than we give her credit for. So because my name is on the list, she is able to bring the kids to me." 

"What about Dave and Joyce?" Jax asked. 

"I talked to them about the situation last night," Gemma replied, "They think it is a good idea for all of us to be involved in their lives. They are ok with me having them live at my place, but they still want to be very much a part of the kids' lives."

Jax was tired and he was still trying to process everything that had happened in the last three days. He laid his head back on the pillow and closed his eyes for a moment. 

"Thanks mom, for taking care of all that," Jax said quietly a couple minutes later, "I've just been too busy trying to get Peyton back safe and sound. Look how well that turned out."