Part 5

Peyton rolled over in bed and opened her eyes just in time to see the door open. Her heart began to pound in her chest when she saw Juice standing in the doorway. Her feelings for him were still there, there was no denying that, but he also made her feel anxious and nervous. She knew where it stemmed from and it made her angry. She had never had a fear of anyone before especially Juice.

"Hey," she said sleepily as she sat up in bed, "Are you my wake up call?" 

"You betcha," he replied, smiling at her, "Did you sleep ok?" 

"I was a little restless," she replied quietly, "But that's the story of my life. It has been awhile since I have ever felt relaxed while sleeping." 

Juice gave her a sad look and continued to stand in the doorway. She could tell that he was giving her space. She wished that she could just push away the feelings of fear and anxiety, because it was Juice. She knew that he would never hurt her, but she couldn't shake it. She knew that with time these feelings would dissipate and she would just have to be patient.

"What's wrong?" she asked, looking up at him. His face was filled with worry and concern. "Tell me Juice," she pleaded. 

"Justin left Calgary and he has checked into a motel just outside of Vegas," he replied quietly, "We have to leave tonight." 

She began to panic and tears instantly filled her eyes. 

"Peyton, what did you know about him before you married him?" he asked, stepping further into the room, "Do you mind if I sit down?" 

She shook her head and motioned for him to sit. She pulled her legs up to her chest and leaned against the headboard and watched him as he sat down at the foot of the bed. 

"I know he went through a pretty tough divorce years ago," she replied quietly, "But he ended it before it got out of control." 

"Peyton, I don't think you knew Justin as well as you thought you did," Juice stated. 

"Juice what do you know?" she asked him. 

"Justin Berkley is not Justin Berkley. His name is James Berkley and he did 10 years for domestic abuse and attempted murder," Juice said cautiously, unsure of how she was going to take this news, "That marriage he told you about, he did the same thing he was doing to you and he almost succeeded. His first wife was on a respirator and in a coma for weeks before she came to."

Peyton refused to believe this. She shook her head when Juice told her about this new development. 

"This can't be true," she expressed in disbelief and disgust, "How could he fool me like this?" 

"I don't know baby girl," Juice replied quietly, "You were in love and you were ready to move on with your life. This isn't your fault Peyton. It's just unfortunate that the one you thought you knew had a double life." 

"I was still suffering from the heartbreak from losing you and he was the first person that showed interest in me. I knew you wouldn't take me back, you had made that perfectly clear," she tried to justify, "I was even more confused when you came to me that night in May 2009 right after Justin and I got engaged. It broke my heart when I woke up and you were gone. So I figured the best way to forget you was to jump into the next marriage"

Juice had forgotten about that night and he could feel himself get hot at the thought of it. 

"Why did you let it happen?" Juice asked curiously, "You could have easily stopped it from happening, but you let me keep going." 

"I was secretly hoping that you would tell me not to go through with the engagement," Peyton replied, "I wanted you to tell me that you still loved me and wanted me back. I would've ended it then."