True Semblance

Samuel's POV

"Where are we going?" Pyrrah aksed, we were all jammed into the elevator once more as it seemed to be going on forever. "The vault. Under the school."

"You said that like it was nothing." I muttered under my breath, my hands crossed firmly over my chest. "What was that Mr. Ovenshire."

"Nothing, and call me Sam. None of that formal crap." I said as I felt the elevator come to a halt. "I'm sure you must have questions."

I shot Glynda a open jaw, cocked eyebrow look. Of course I have fucking questions, but I'm not going to ask them until I trust them more. "I still don't understand. You said I was next in line to receive the Maiden's power. What do you mean by that?"

"The Maidens have existed for thousands of years. But much like in nature, the seasons change. No two summers are alike. When a Maiden dies, her power leaves her body and seeks out a new host, ensuring that the seasons are never lost, and that no individual can hold on to that power forever." Glynda explained as we walked down the dimly lit hallway. I looked between the walls and Qrow who was taking a sip from his flask. "So, how does the power choose?"

"Through a series of stupid and convoluted rules." Qrow hissed as he pocketed the now seemingly empty flask he had been carrying. I took suspicion in what he said, seeing as he himself seemed to have a distaste of something concerning the alleged power of the Maiden's. But it seems I wasn't the only one to notice as Glynda had called him out. "Qrow."

"Hey, don't get mad 'cause I'm right." The witch lady ignored him as she continued conversing with Pyrrah. "At first, the only thing that was certain was that the powers were specifically passed on to young women. But as time went on, it was discovered that the selection process was much more... intimate."

"... Intimate?" Pyrrah asked, almost as if she was skeptical of the phrasing. To be honest who the hell wouldn't be questioning shit right now. "As we understand it now, when a Maiden dies, the one who is in her final thoughts is the first candidate to inherit her power."

"Unless it's a dude or some old hag. Then the power goes to someone random, and our job gets a lot harder." Qrow threw out in the open the position of their, or his, job. I noticed that Ozpin had been uncharacteristically quiet throughout the walk and elevator ride. "Why tell me all of this now? Why not wait until I've graduated?"

"Honestly, we've run out of time. I don't know if you've noticed, but things are getting a lot scarier out in the world. Tensions are high. Grimm are growing stronger, more prevalent. And it's not going to be long before the peace we've been enjoying for so long goes out the window." Qrow spoke with uncertainty in his voice. I looked over at him and opened my mouth. "You're not thinking  a war will really break out?"

"Not a war between nations." Ironwood stepped in upon hearing the word war. "Just what else are you hiding from us. I know something is going on, from you having men almost everywhere. Last time you prompted it had something to do with those Haven kids, not some other threat that is apperently looming over the city."

"We can fill you on the details once we know that you're with us." Qrow looked over at me, his gaze became more stern as he looked at me then his glare made its way over to Pyrrah. "For now, all you need to know is that one of the Maidens has been attacked. And for the first time in history, part of her power was stolen."

I looked up to see alarge machine with lit screens hooked up to two rectangular pods, one of which is upright to show through the glass window a young girl dressed in minimal clothing with a burn scar over her left eye and across her face. "Is this the Autumn you mentioned who was in a bad condition?"