Ice Queen

I was able to keep my distance around a corner as Ruby approached the Ice Queen.

"Weiss!" Ruby called out as she caught up with her. "What?"

"What's wrong with you? Why are you being-?" Before Ruby was able to finish Weiss inturupted her. "What's wrong with me? What's wrong with you? You're supposed to be a leader, and all you've been so far is a nuisance!"

"What did I do?" Ruby asked pleadingly as she faced Weiss. "That's just it - you've done nothing to earn your position! Back in the forest, you acted like a child, and you've only continued to do so!"

"Weiss, where is this coming from? What happened to all the talk about 'working together'? I thought you believed in acting as a team." Ruby sounded hurt from her tone of voice and Weiss only seemed to be adding.

"Not a team led by you. I've studied and trained. And quite frankly, I deserve better." I could hear the heels clicking, I assumed that Weiss was leaving until the clicking stopped. "Ozpin made a mistake."

I come out from behind the corner and went to Ruby. I tapped her shoulders, she looked at me and her face held sorrow. "Maybe I'm not fit to be a team leader. I should just tell Oz-."

"Tell me what?" We both snapped our heads to see the Headmaster of Beacon standing in front of us, a mug in hand. "Is Weiss right? Did you make a mistake when assigning me as leader?"

"That remains to be seen." Ozpin spoke lowly as he looked down at Ruby who was on the verge if tears. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, it's only been one day. Ruby... I've made more mistakes than any man, woman, and child on this planet. But at this moment, I would not consider your appointment to leader to be one of them. What do you think, Samuel?" Professor Ozpin looked over at me with a light smile. "I think this is not one of them Oz, I think that you have great potential Ruby."

"Being a team leader isn't just a title you carry into battle, but a badge you wear constantly. If you're not always performing at your absolute best, then what reason do you give others to follow you?" Ozpin skillfuly explained and I looked at him thoughtfully. He made a great point and I smiled when he finished. "You've been burdened with a daunting responsibility, Ruby. I advise you take some time, to think about how you will uphold it."

Ozpin then walked away leaving Ruby and I both. I looked over at Little Red and I saw the ghost of a smile hinting at her face.

"Do you want me to talk to Weiss?" I asked and Ruby shook her head. "No I have to do this on my own, I'm no longer going to rely on help. I drink enough milk."

"Helps not a bad thing Ruby." I started and she looked at me with a quirked brow. "Help is something only strong people can ask for. It's when a person realized that they can't physically, or mentally, handle anything more. Weak people would just continue to add more to the burden, and eventually they would exhaust themselves to the point where they overworked themselves. I think help is a good thing, especially when it comes from those you trust the most."

"Thanks Sam," She pulled me into a quick hug. "I really needed to hear that."

"Anytime Ruby," She broke off the hug and a smile was now on her face. "Don't ever be afraid to ask for help, no matter the circumstances."

"You got it!" She smiled and gave a thumbs up. "We got to get to Professor Goodwitch's class!"

I looked over at the clock to see Ruby was indeed correct. "We can make it if we run."

"Then what are we waiting for!" We both took off running down the halls and cutting sharp corned. I pushed open the door to the arena like room. Professor Goodwitch shot us a look before we say in our seats and smiled at each other.

"Jaune Arc and Cardin Winchester you two are the first to duel!" Glynda announced and Jaune slammed his head on the desk. Cardin stood up quickly and grabbed his weapon and perched the long blade on his shoulder.

The two males stood opposite of each other, weapons in hand.

"Begin." Their Aura was being displayed on the large screen above them. Cardin made the first swing, which Jaune just barely evaded. But unfortunately he couldn't stop the second swing and he was pushed back. He stood back up and took a swing, however Cardin seems to be much more experienced than Jaune.

Jaune was pushed back once again, but this time had trouble standing back up. The two were talking but I couldn't make out what they were saying. Without anything further Cardin slammed his knee into Jaune's stomach.

"Cardin, that's enough!" Professor Goodwitch annouced, and Cardin reluctantly stepped down from the arena with a grunt. I winced as Jaune stood up and walked with his head hung low. "Students, as you can see, Mr. Arc's Aura has now dropped into the red. In a tournament-styled duel, this would indicate that Jaune is no longer fit for battle, and that the official may call the match. Mr. Arc, it's been days now. Please try to refer to your Scroll during combat. Gauging your Aura will help you decide when it's appropriate to attack, or when it is better to move to a more... defensive strategy. We wouldn't want you to be gobbled up by a Beowolf, now, would we?"

Glynda turned her attention to us, the students, she smiles as she address us. "Remember, everyone, the Vytal Festival is only a few months away! It won't be long before students from the other kingdoms start arriving in Vale, so keep practicing! Those who choose to compete in the combat tournament will be representing all of Vale!"

As of it was on cue the bell rang, students began to vacant their classes and head to the cafeteria.

I sat down next to Vi, and Lydia who was off in her own world as she looked at a plant.

"So! There we were, in the middle of the night..." Nora set the scene as she was about to retell her dream from the other night. But Ren, I learned his name, interjected before she finished her sentence. "It was day."

"We were surrounded by Ursai..." Nora used her hands to make it more dramatic, but of course Ren butted in once more. "They were Beowolves."

"Dozens of them!" I sighed as Ren cut her off once more saying that there were only two. My eyes drifted elsewhere. I saw Cardin and a scowl showed itself on my face. I turned my head slightly to see Ruby from across the table with a thumbs up and furrowed brow. I waved her off and watched as Cardin started to pick on a girl with brown bunny ears.

Anger welled within me as I watched him tug at the girl's ears. That's it.

I stood from my seat making everyone look at me. I walked over to Cardin and shot him a glare.

"Why don't you pick on somebody your own size." I seethed, crossing my arms over my chest as to not make any brash decisions. "And what are you gonna do about little Sammy."

"I'm not one to be overly cocky," I kept my cool and tried my damn best not to punch him. "But I could handle your ass any day."

"Whatever," He rolled his eyes and turned to his three teammates. "Let's go, he's not worth our time."

They left quickly and I turned to the girl who fell victim of Cardin's bullying. I lent her a hand, which she took slowly.

"Sorry about him, he's a jerk." I rubbed the back of my head sheepishly.

"I couldn't thank you enough," She smiled brightly."Oh! My name is Velvet Scarlatina."

"Samuel Ovenshire." I introduced myself. "It was nice to meet you Velvet."

As if in cue the bell rang, signaling that lunch waw over. I caught up with my group who asked questioned about what happened. But I noticed that Jaune was looking particularly down.