Rumors

Samuel's POV

I sat up slowly and rubbed my eyes. I looked around and noticed that the other students had began waking up as well. I poked Ryan in the shoulder, but he didn't budge. I sighed and rolled onto my stomach and let out a laugh.

"What are you laughing about?" I turned my head to see Vi standing over head, she was already clad in her combat attire. "It's funny, I've worked most of my life to come to Beacon, and hear I am sleeping on the floor of the most prestigious warrior academy."

"Yeah," She rolled her eyes and stuck out her hand. I grabbed her hand and pulled myself off the ground. "Anyway, check you scroll. We got locker numbers during the night."

"Alright." I did as instructed and sure enough I did have a number in screen. "413."

"Damn I'm in the six hundreds." She frowned and started picking up her sleeping bag. I roller my eyes when I saw Ryan still sleeping like a brick. "Wanna wake up Ryan?"

"That's not even a question?!" She yelled and pulled out her staff. She pointed it at the sleeping Fanus and made him float in the air.

"Ah ah!" He shouted as he came through. "Someone help! The floor is falling!"

A few people glanced over at us, I laughed at their looks. Ryan looked around and noticed Vi with her staff. "Why you little bi-"

Before he could even finish talking he was left falling to the ground.

"Opps, my bad." Vi frowned as Ryan hit the ground. But a smile quickly took over her facial features. "That's just cold Viridian, plain ice."

"Did you guys hear the rumor that we'll be getting teams today?" Vi asked as she continued to pack up her stuff. Ryan rolls his eyes as he pushed himself off the floor. "No I didn't, I was trying to sleep."

"Oh, boohoo, you'll get over it..." She stopped moving for a moment. "Or maybe you'll remember this day for the rest of your years, which probably isn't very many."

"Take that back Vi!" I rolled up my sleeping bag and made a peace sign at the two, leaving them to their banter.

"I'm going to go find my locker and hopefully a bathroom." I waved as I roamed the bug halls of Beacon. Soon enough I found a bathroom and changed into black pants and my green and gold detailed over coat. I decided to call it good and left to find my locker.

I walked around for what seemed like eternity before I came across the four hundreds.

"Just how many students are at this school?" I whispered to myself and proceeded to my locker. I shoved a few things inside before I saw Jaune talking to some redhead and the ice queen.

"Yo! Sam can vouche for me right buddy!" Jaune called out from across the hall. He was then pinned to a locker by a spear like weapon.

"I'm sorry Jaune!" The redhead said after removing the spear from his hood. I now noticed Ruby and the blonde from yesterday come over to Jaune and I as well.

"Would all first-year students please report to Beacon Cliff for initiation? Again, all first-year students report to Beacon Cliff immediately." The sound of Glynda's voice roared over the loud speaker.

"Having some trouble there lady-killer." The blonde laughed as Ruby helped Jaune to his feet. "I don't understand. My dad said all women look for is confidence! Where did I go wrong?"

"Calling her Snow Angel probably wasn't the best start." She laughed as Ruby and I slung both of Jaune's arms over our shoulders. "C'mon Jaune let's go."

Third Person POV

All of the first year students made their way to Beacon Cliff, Glynda and Ozpin waiting for their arrival.

Each person had a platform with the symbol of Vale on it. Jaune was located to the far left, next to Sam.

"For years, you have trained to become warriors, and today, your abilities will be evaluated in the Emerald Forest." Ozpin explained as the new group of students looked at him intently, taking in every word he had to offer.

"Now, I'm sure many of you have heard rumors about the assignment of "teams." Well, allow us to put an end to your confusion. Each of you will be given teammates... today." Glynda continued the explanation which caused an array of different reactions from the students. "These teammates will be with you for the rest of your time here at Beacon. So it is in your best interest to be paired with someone with whom you can work well."

"That being said, the first person you make eye contact with after landing will be your partner for the next four years." Ozpin ecplained how the teams would be picked. "After you've partnered up, make your way to the northern end of the forest. You will meet opposition along the way. Do not hesitate to destroy everything in your path... or you will die."

"Rather reassuring." Sam chuckled to himself under his breath.

"You will be monitored and graded through the duration of your initiation, but our instructors will not intervene. You will find an abandoned temple at the end of the path containing several relics. Each pair must choose one and return to the top of the cliff. We will regard that item, as well as your standing, and grade you appropriately. Are there any questions?" Ozpin asked the group and Jaune slowly raised his hand. "Yeah, Sir?"

"Good, now take you positions." Ozpin annouced, ignoring the blonde knight pleading for an answer. All the students stroke a pose, expect for Jaune who still stood still raising his hand.

"Uh, sir? I've got, um... a question." He asked and misses seeing the tile under Weiss rising up into a springboard, rocketing her into the air and over the forest. The platforms continue activate down the line. "So, this landing... strategy thing... Uh, wha-what is it? You're, like, dropping us off or something?"

"No, you'll be falling." Ozpin confirms the young man's suspisons. "Oh, uh, I see... So, like, did you hand out parachutes for us?"

"No. You will be using your own landing strategy." Ozpin once again confirmed for the boy that was oblivious to the rest of the students being launched up into the air.

"Uh-huh... Yeah." He finally notices the springboard when Sam next to him gets launched up and sent hurtling over the forest. "So, what exactly is a landing strategYYY!..."

Ozpin merely takes a sip from his mug of tea as the students began free falling to the emerald forest.

"This ought to be entertaing."