𝟮𝟬

chapter 20

Caroline paced around the kitchen, her whole body was shaking and she felt sick to the stomach.

Klaus would be here any minute and she didn't know how she could tell him. Especially when she finally admitted her feelings to him.

Hearing footsteps Caroline prepared herself for the worst.

Elijah walked into the kitchen and saw a very rigid Caroline.

"What is the matter, Ms. Forbes?" The suite man asked, calming Caroline because of his not-being-Klaus-quality.

"Can I tell you something?" Caroline asked, sitting down on a chair and gesturing with her arms for him to sit as well.

"It'd be my pleasure, Ms. Forbes." He said, nodding whilst sitting across from her.

Twirling her fingers Caroline looked up with tears in her eyes. "I'm leaving tomorrow. I'm going back to mystic falls."

Elijah seemed shocked by the new information, but his look urged her to continue.

Caroline bit her tongue to hold in the now glistening tears, "Elena needs to see me, and I-I have a life there. I can't drop everything just for some fling."

"This is just a fling to you?" Caroline turned her head to see Klaus in the doorway.

"Nik-" Caroline started before being cut off by a cold voice.

"Don't call me that" his voice was so harsh and angry that Caroline felt like crying. But she didn't. She walked over to him and embraced him.

"It's not a fling Nik. This is the most real thing I've ever felt." Caroline mumbled into his chest. She heard Elijah leave and shut the door and silently she thanked him.

"Then why the bloody hell are you leaving me!" Klaus shouted, his vulnerability spewing out as she'd never seen before.

"Klaus how can I leave everyone? My family. My friends." Caroline pulled away and gazed into his deep blue eyes.

"How can you go back to that damned town after everything it's put you through!" Klaus screamed, the anger in his voice she knew was fake and he used to deflect his feelings.

"Because it's my home."

"But this is mine." Klaus was so vulnerable Caroline barely recognized him.

"Then I guess this is goodbye."