Chapter Thirty Two

I reach for my gun, but Michael stops me "You won't shoot me before I shoot your dear sister, so drop the gun." Fuck. I'm helpless. There is nothing I could do. Sal's dead and I can't save Demetria from this. I do as he says and place the gun on the floor. "Now, it's nice to meet the woman Roan and David Smith are so fond of." I'm angry. I'm so fucking angry. Pain and rage are rushing through me. Hate running through my veins. He walks over to me and puts his hand on my chin. "What's the matter dear? Don't look so sad." I have no words. I look to Sal and my heart feels like it's being ripped out of my chest. I'm devastated. "Where are the fine gentlemen that make up the Smith clan?" He asks, in a tone that sends a vicious chill down my back and ties a knot in my stomach. "They're not here." I say, sternly. "Well. Guess we're just going to have to get back then. Conveniently enough I know how to fly a helicopter. Come on gals, let's go." "No." Demetria bravely says. He goes over to her. "Listen here woman, I can kill you. I will kill you. Claire is untouchable, but just like I put a bullet in your little boyfriend's head, I'll do the same to you. Understand?" She shatters. I see the heartbreak cross her face knowing that standing in front of her is the evil that murdered her lover. I did this to her. But I'm not about to stand here pitying myself pathetically. If I'm going out, I'm going out with a fight. It makes me mad that I'm untouchable, and that the deal wasn't discussed with me, because now I'm getting tortured. I'm also the one in pain because the people that I love are dropping like flies. So, I step closer to him. Our faces are only an inch apart and if I really wanted to, I could shoot him. But I'm making a plan on how to use him. "Listen here you disgusting man you will not touch her. She is my sister and if you kill her, I'll find a way to kill myself, so you don't get the chance to. I'm not your bait. So even if I do get into that helicopter, it's not willingly. You hurt her, I hurt myself. Understand?" He chuckles. "We're not making a fucking deal Claire. I am Michael Fucking Richardson. I kill whoever gets in my way, so make sure your little sister doesn't fuck this up. And maybe, just maybe I won't blow her brains out." There is no kindness in his words. No weakness in his demeanor. No pain in his eyes. Just evil. Pure evil. But I see another thing. He's staring at my lips, and taking my body in. He's observing me. He likes me. He thinks I'm attractive. Oh, I could use this. Picturing myself even touching him repulses me, but I have to do what I have to do. Poor Sal. He doesn't get a funeral. None of the people who deserve to be remembered and celebrated, don't get the chance. And for the first time, looking at the memories places in my head, I regret it. I regret ever taking that deal. I regret meeting The Smith men. I was so naive, so stupid. I should've just stayed away. With that thought, I take Demi's hand in mine and we follow Michael to the helicopter. We each get in and he starts to fly. I have no idea how to fly a helicopter, and this isn't Mission Impossible where I could learn how to in five seconds, so right now would not be a good time to hurt him. I get a call from Reggie and answer it right away. "Something awful has happened." He says, crying. He's choked up and I'm terrified at what has made Reggie Richardson break. "What's wrong? What happened?" He sobs. Painfully sobs. "Reggie, tell me." "It's Roan. And David. They're gone." And just like that, I'm broken. Completely broken. "What do you mean they're gone? WHAT HAPPENED REGGIE?" I yell. "They were murdered. I came back to where we're staying and they're gone. They were killed Claire. I couldn't save them. I'm so sorry I couldn't save them." I scream. I yell. I moan and cry out. Questioning my life. They're gone. They're gone. Gone gone gone gone gone. David and Roan. They're gone. Dead. Killed. Murdered. "I couldn't save them." "You should have done something!" I yell and drop the phone. "What is it Claire?!" Demi yells. "It's... they're dead. They're dead. They're gone." She understands. She tries to comfort me but I just wallow in my sadness and fall. I don't move but I feel like I'm falling. I just want to die. I'm so consumed by my exhaustion. I don't want to be here. There's no one here to save me from the pain. Nothing. It's all just a bunch of nothingness. There's no one to help me. Just like there was no one to help them. It hurts. It hurts so much. I just want it to go away. "What's wrong dear?" Michael says, with a smug look on his face. "David. And Roan. They're gone. They were killed." I say, barely getting the words out. He gets angry. "Well now I have to give you over to someone else. Fuck!" He yells. I sob. And I get mad. And I stare at the sky and wonder if Roan and David are looking down at me. And then I feel nothing. I'm numb. I'm numb. I have no words. I just want them back. I close my eyes and picture everything. Everything I've gone through. Every torturous and damaging thing. Every painful thing. It was worth it. Seeing their smiles, hearing their voice, feeling their lips. It was all worth it. Now, I'm left with nothing. The utter shatter of my heart. The breaking of my soul. I want Michael to kill me. I want to die. It was better letting them go and knowing they were okay. But now they're gone. No more hello's. No more kisses. No more "I love you's." I didn't even get a chance to say goodbye. "We're here. Get up." Michael says, landing the helicopter. Demetria helps me out. I can't walk. I physically can't. I put my arm around my shoulder and she says "I know exactly how you feel Claire. I am so so sorry." I don't know where we are, and I don't care. I can't help Demetria. I can't save her. I can't save myself. I can't save anyone. I'm nothing. I'm useless. I'm worthless. We enter an odd room and Michael gets two chairs. "Sit." He orders, pointing his gun at us. He uses rope to tie us to the chair and I feel hopeless. "I'm sorry Demetria. I'm sorry I'm such a failure." I cry. "You're not a failure. This isn't your fault." She says. But it is. I'd do anything to see them again. I just want them back. I love them so much that being without them hurts. It hurts too much. My world has been turned upside down and I won't survive this. Michael puts a gun to my head and says "I'm debating on whether I should have the honor of killing you, or if I should hand you over to the person that really wants you." "Just do it. Please. Just kill me." I beg. Those words linger in the air for a while, just as three men barge in. I can't see. There not visible to my eyes, since my tears are taking over. I blink and gulp down my tears as I see them. Roan. David. And Reggie. Reggie attacks Michael and puts a bullet in his shoulder. I smile. I smile the most genuine, biggest smile I've ever smiled. I breathe again. I can finally breathe again. Roan comes over and places his hand on my cheek as David unties me. I embrace his hand and find comfort in his touch. As I always have. "You didn't think I was actually dead, did you?" He smiles and kisses my forehead. "I did. I really did." I sob. Happy tears. For once in forever, I'm crying because of something good. David picks me up and I hold onto him. "I love you." They both say and I kiss their gentle lips. Everything feels right. No matter how much I want to get away from this lifestyle, I never want to be without them again.
They are my life. They are my forever.