Chapter Twenty Five

"Is he dead?!"
"Yes. So are the other three."
Six Hours Earlier...
"Good morning!" I say, in a joyful mood.
"Morning!" Demetria says, a little surprised that I'm so light and energetic today.
As hard as It was to leave David yesterday, I'm still refreshed and relieved. It was genuinely a good night. Just remembering our collided bodies fucking against the hot motion of our uncontrollable shaking and inability to catch our breath, is enough to make me want more. But I know I can't. I can't do that again. Even if I don't want to admit it, I went there with purpose and intention of seeing David. "You're different." Demetrias boyfriend says. "Well, I had a good night." Neither Demetria or her boyfriend know about what deal and contract I signed up for. They don't know I was dating both men, but I could tell they've figured it out. They're just waiting for me to confirm it. "Which one did you sleep with?" Cody asks. "Shut up." We've bonded like a brother and sister in law, because I've grown protective of my sister. She's fragile and kind, and doesn't deserve for her heart to get broken.
"Do you want Demetria to know?" He asks. "No. She'll scream at me for just going there, and I don't want to hear a lecture from my little sister."
"Be careful." "Thanks. Be careful with my sister. You hurt her, I hurt you. Got it?"
"Woah and the claws come out!" He declares like a child. I laugh. I finish my fruit and go out, ready to re-do the interview from yesterday.
One Hour Later, I arrive at the publishing house.
I sit down with James and he looks excited to see me. His feminist side is showing with his pink hat and blush suit, and I appreciate his openness. It lets me know who he is, and I admire that. "Hello Ms.Stone. Nice to see you again." "It's not hard to be an assistant, but is that really the position you want Claire?" "It's not, but I'll take it and work my way up. Anything you need me to do, I'll get a handle of." I say truthfully. "Well, looking at your Resumé, this should be easy for you. Considering you're a writer yourself, I promise you there will be many opportunities for you here." "Thank you." "You will begin tomorrow at 7am sharp, be here on time and you have the position." I see being early is a priority for him. "Thank you for the opportunity, I'll see you tomorrow boss."
Getting back into my car I realize that was pretty easy. I got lucky with this job, and with such a kind boss. I start the long drive and on my way I get a call from Roan. Do I answer it? It could be important. Or it could be nothing. But what if he's in trouble?  With that thought I decide to answer. "Claire, it's Roan." "Yes, I know. Why'd you call?" It pains me to be so bitter. I have a physical weight on my chest. "There might be people coming after you." 
"Well, I already knew people wanted me dead. What's new?"  I can't stand being so rude to him. It's just not me. "They might know where Demetria lives. I haven't been able to have a handle on the whole thing since you left. I just haven't been myself." I want to tell him it's okay. I want to let him know that I miss him just as he misses me, maybe even more. I want nothing more than to kiss him, and hold him close. But I can't, because that's not how this works. Nothing good comes from Roan and David being in the Mafia, but me being part of it just causes more chaos. I can deal with it though. I don't need them to protect me. "I can protect myself Roan. I'm sure you know that." "Yes. Of course I do Claire. Just be careful." "Thank you." I hang up on him.
Great. Just fucking great. I have a gun, but I'm low on bullets. Shit. I need to call Roan again. "I'm sorry I'm asking, but where is that shooting range you took me to? Sal owned it." He gives me directions and asks why. "Because if I'm going to be hunted, I'm going to be prepared." I hang up for the second time.
Starting my drive, I have more anger than fear running through me. Every idiot of a man seems to think they could just take over my life, as if I have nothing better to focus on. I should be scared, I really should be. But I'm not. Not anymore than the night I saw Roan with blood all over his hands. Not anymore than the time I got kidnapped and nearly died. Not anymore than the day I found Roan with a bullet in him. Not anymore than when I accidentally almost killed David. I can't fear this life anymore. If I'm going to live it, I have to learn more about it.
A few moments later I arrive at the range. Sal looks shocked to see me here alone, but he also says "Huh. It's Roan's girl." "Nice to see you again Sal. I need a favor." "Anything." He says, confirming my thought that he's extremely loyal to Roan, and would give me what I need. "I have my gun license, so you know you won't get in trouble. I need two of the best hand guns you have, extra ammo."  He goes to the back of a room and comes back a few minutes later with what I need. "You came here with a mission young lady. Now I need to know one thing before I sign off on giving you these." His consideration is whole hearted. "What do you need to know?" I ask. "You promise me that you'll use these only to defend yourself. That you won't go killing anyone who doesn't ask for it. I see a different look in your eyes today. Different than when you first came here with Roan. There's a darker side showing, one that doesn't hide your pain."
How is he describing this past week so perfectly? I guess eyes really are the windows to the soul. "You're right. But I can promise you that I wouldn't ever hurt someone innocent, no matter how much pain I'm in, that's just not something I'd do." We exchange, and I give him a hug before leaving. I wonder if he has anyone, he's always here by himself. I think I'll come back soon, maybe bring him some food or invite him to the future apartment I find.
Now.
I gather my three guns and shove them into my bag, unloading them and hiding them from Demetria. This is a 'just in case' propaganda, nothing more.
I walk in and go straight to my room, locking the door behind me. I decide to re-load all of the guns, just in case anything happens. For the next few minutes, it's quiet. More peaceful than I had imagined. But when I hear a knock on the door, I know who's here. I walk outside into the living room and ask Demetria and Cody if they're expecting anyone. "No. We've just been watching movies all day. Dinners on the stove." It's nice how they're oblivious to everything going on, but I have to let them in on it. I go back into my room, pick up my guns and walk back out. They see what I'm holding and look terrified. I set them on the table and Cody asks "What the fuck are you doing?" "Jesus Claire I knew you were upset, but what is this?" Demetria says.
"Listen, it's a really long story that I can't get into or else I'm putting you in danger. Roan and David Smith aren't regular men. They don't have a regular job, and what they do is dangerous. But they're not dangerous, if anything they protect people more than they hurt them. But since I started dating them, I've gotten myself into a bit of trouble. I don't have more time to explain to you why each of you need to take these guns, because the men who want me dead are outside your door right now. It's not hard to work a gun, use your common sense, the safety is already off." I hand them each a hand gun and Demetria looks repulsed. Cody has a knowing look on his face, like he's heard of this before. Maybe he's heard of Roan or David's business, they are popular names around here. "Yoo Hoo, Open up the door or we'll bust through it." I hear a mans voice, and more men laugh. I look through the peep hole and see four men, each of different sizes, but each much bigger than me. "I'm not opening up this door willingly. If you're gonna come in, you're gonna have to shoot through." Morals. I have morals, and I should profess them before I kill these four men. They kick the door through and I'm faced with my challenge. I have to think fast. They're each armed, but no one is reaching for there gun except for the guy in the back. The guy in the front already has his hand on his gun, which concerns me. Demetria and Cody are standing in the corner, scared and confused. I have to take the guy in the front out first, and if Cody is smart, from where he's standing he should be able to see the guy in the back. He could take him out faster than I could attempt. But I have one question for them. "Who sent you?" I yell. "You actually think I'd tell you?" I have my gun aimed, but they know I can't take them out without someone's help. "Here's how this is going to go. If you don't tell me who sent you, I'm going to shoot you in your dick first, and then I'm going to take out your men and save you for last. Do you want to do this the hard way or the easy way, your choice." He looks puzzled, but remains calm and idiotic. "Oh honey, that's a cute thought."
You know what? I'm fucking sick of it. My impulses and rage takes over as I follow through with my words. I shoot him in the crotch and he falls to the floor. I shoot his two other friends directly in the head, and I hear a gun shot from the corner. Cody did as I had hoped for, he took out the scumbag in the back. They're all on the floor, but the leader still has a chance to shoot me. I walk over, un-phased and with barely any fear. "I told you what I was going to do. And now I'm doing it. So I'll ask you one more time, who sent you?"  "Like I would ever fucking consider-
I'm over it. I shoot him in the head, and feel no remorse. Demetria looks terrified of me, and I feel bad that I've concerned her, and brought her into this, but it's not my fault. I had to do what I had to do to protect myself, and them. "Is he dead?!" She asks, stupidly. "Yes. So are the other three." She starts to cry in Cody's shoulder and I yell for him, "Get her out of here! Now!" I throw him their keys and they drop the guns on the floor. I trust Demetria. She's in to much shock to tell the cops, and if Cody really does know that this is part of the mafia, he'll know not to go to the cops either. They leave the apartment and I lock the door. I have four dead bodies in the kitchen and living room. How the fuck am I going to clean this up? There's only one person who would help me and not feel any shame for it. Reggie Richardson.
I pick up my phone and call his number.
"Claire Stone, what do I owe the honor?"
"I need you to help me clean up four dead bodies from my sisters apartment." I say, getting straight to the point.
"You killed four Mafia Men?" He asks, stunned.
"Yes. And I would prefer not to sit with their dead bodies for another hour, so get here fast." I hang up and text him the address.
I hear a knock on my door just minutes later and open it up to Reggie and a few other men in suits.
"I want this place swept clean, no DNA, no trace of anything left behind, get it done!" Reggie screams, entering the apartment. "Good to see you Claire. Especially on these terms." I drop the gun on the table and sit down on the couch. He sits beside me. The adrenaline wears off and all I feel is guilt now.
I know I had to do this, but I did it with no feeling. No remorse. I was so cold, I can't imagine how I looked to Demetria. "I'm a monster." I cry.
"You're not a monster Claire. They were fucked up men. You did the right thing."
"It's not right to kill people! Maybe it's right for you, but it's not right for me. Before I met them, I wouldn't have killed a fly. Now I'm talking to a Mob Boss and getting four dead bodies out of my kitchen. What the fuck has my life come to?" I sob.
To my surprise, he puts his arms around me, comforting my sad and overwhelming thoughts.
"You've changed, but it's not necessarily bad Claire. You protected your family. You protected yourself. Don't feel guilty for this." He lets me go and I wipe my tears. Why I'm relying on Reggie Richardson to make me feel better, is even shocking to me. We sit in silence for what feels like forever, and I look back into the kitchen, and there's not one spec of blood. There's nothing remaining on the living room rug either. It's spotless. "They did good." I say, relieved. "If you ever need this  again, it'll come with a price. Today it was a favor. A friend helping a friend."
He gets up, and walks out of the apartment. Not before I call his name. "Reggie." He turns around. "What?"  "We're not friends." He nods, and walks away.