3

Those words were left hanging in the air. Right between their bodies and the little space that kept them distant. Amelia felt those words straight to her groin, but her heart felt a different pull. Harry's eyes were no longer the tropical storm green she was so very much fond of, but had yes turned into a shallow color surrounded by shades of dark greys. For a second, the ginger felt aroused and yet, ever so very sad. How could eyes so beautiful look so old? 

   How much damage had it took to break the boy who stood so confidently right in front of her? And who, in their right mind, would do something so terrible to someone? To be the reason and cause of someone losing the brightness of their eyes. A curse should fall upon them. The eyes are indeed the mirror of the soul, the brighter the color, the younger the soul. Harry's was green, yet Amelia saw him as red. And she never once, felt such distress once she took notice of it.

   ''Your eyes.'' Her voice was soft, not meaning to alarm him nor make him nervous. Disposing of her camera by her side, she looked at him, not minding their proximity, hoping it would be of some comfort to the curly boy.

   He looked confused, the grin leaving his face as he now gazed her, looking concerned.

   ''What about them?''

   ''They're full of scars.''

   Her reply was like a stab in Harry's heart. It clenched so tightly that it physically hurt him, feeling choked by his own body as he struggled to form a coherent sentence. Why would she say that? Now, of all times. When their bodies should be the ones connecting and not their feelings, much less their hearts. Harry felt like a misfit, completely out of place but, most of all, he felt threatened. It was as if someone was trying to cut him open and find out his secrets.

   He remained quiet, not knowing what to say. He felt like simply getting up so that he could leave, but his heart forbid him to do so. In his lap stood the only person who had been honest with him, and with whom he had had a proper conversation with. It might not have been a long one, but it mattered and it changed something in him. He wouldn't leave, because he was afraid that would shatter the beautiful person she was.

   ''I know that it is probably complicated.'' She answered for him, her voice as soft and tender, as if she were caressing him and lulling him to sleep. ''We never have the courage to say how scarred we are. How many regrets we have, or how much we've been through. It's always hard to recall those times, because in a way, we moved on. As we should. To strive forward without looking back, but feeling like... there's an empty space somewhere along the way.'' Her words seemed to draw flowers over his skin. The dark clouds covering his mind and the storm raging inside it. Her words were so powerful, that they stopped the rain. ''If you feel comfortable, and if you want to, we could get a glass of wine in the living room and simply enjoy each other's company. No more work.''

   Her offer was tempting. Harry found himself completely lost in her words and so amazed at how her mind worked, she looked as if she was so fragile that one simple touch would shatter her, yet she was so much more. Her soul seemed to be an armor that secured everything which consisted of her, protecting her from the cruel world outside. However, by the way she spoke, many regrets filled up the cracks in her personality.

   ''I don't get...why anyone would want to get to know me.'' Harry tried, with baby steps, to explain why he didn't understand her. Why would she want to know him? But more importantly, why does he feel like he would let her? He couldn't. She would leave if she saw how hollow he is, how every part of him is a lie and the tremendous loneliness that lives in his body.

   Standing up from his lap, she smiled. ''Everybody deserves a chance, don't you think?'' Walking over to the desk, she took hold of his shirt before handing it back to him.