The Cruel Reality

Magsimula sa umpisa

Cross' eyesockets fluttered and he closed his eyes, slumping against Nightmare. Nightmare felt a strange warmth in his chest as he pulled Cross to him. He closed his eye and teleported both of them back to Nightmare's tent. He laid Cross on the bed and looked out the window.

Error had the beast pinned to the ground with blue strings. Nightmare scowled as it roared again. He teleported outside, startling Killer. "Shut that damn thing up!!" He snarled. Error glanced apologetically at Killer before sending out strings that wrapped around the beast's snout. It snapped its mouth shut and began to struggle harder.

Nightmare approached it, his tentacles waving into spikes. "No, please!!" Killer screamed, tears running down his face. Nightmare turned and shot a glare so cold, he could see the other's bones lock up.

"You sealed his fate the moment you decided not to tell anyone about it." He said, his voice dangerous. Killer's SOUL seemed to crumple in on itself and he dropped to his hands and knees. "Just look away."

He could hear Ink trying to both console and restrain Killer as Nightmare approached the beast. It stared at him with one lit eyesocket. A muffled growl erupted from its throat. "You were a talented performer." Nightmare stared at it before his tentacles snapped forward, towards the neck. He heard Killer scream out. "Thank you for your time."

———————————

It was late when Cross woke. He woke in coldness, but also in concern. Neither of the feelings were his own. He realized he was laying on something soft. The room he was in was lit by lanterns strung up around the ceiling of the tent. His eyes widened. This was the Ringmaster's room.

Before he could fully comprehend what was going on, Nightmare had spoken. "Cross." He was sitting at the desk in front of the window, his tentacles all laying on the floor behind him. Cross felt himself shiver. The tentacles were all grey-stained at the end.

Cross tried to speak, but his voice was raspy and barely able to climb above a whisper. "It's okay. I have no doubt that you've lost your voice." Nightmare stood up and his tentacles came to life behind him, swirling and twisting behind him. Nightmare felt... relief? "I'm glad you're alright."

The statement was genuine. Cross could sense it. He blinked and, very slowly, pulled his knees up to himself as Nightmare came over to him. "Are you feeling better?" The question was a simple yes or no, which Cross was able to answer with a nod.

"I brought you here after I found you in the Gadget Tent. You were screaming and crying. You didn't tell me that your ability could go as far as that." Nightmare's voice was soft, but his words held no malice. Cross blinked and looked down. He wanted to apologize, but he couldn't.

Cross began to slip himself out of the bed, but Nightmare shook his head. Cross was glad he'd been stopped because he was so sore. All over. And it was painful. Nightmare gestured to the window. "You can't go back to the New Tent now. It's past curfew." He said. "You will remain here." At that, Cross felt his face light up purple.

Nightmare seemed to notice and Cross felt soft amusement. "It is no problem. I must patrol the grounds, but I will be back to check on you." One of his tentacles had stretched out and pulled the whip off the wall. Cross felt a chill as he saw it. And not a good one.

Nightmare tucked the whip so it was hidden within his tentacles. He blinked as Cross tried to say something and he reached out, placing his hand on Cross' chest and gently laying him back down. "Do not try to speak while your throat is damaged. It will only make it worse."

Oh, that statement sent a wave darkness out from Nightmare, along with remembrance. Cross felt tears spring up to his eyes. He wanted to know what had happened. He wanted to know who or what had been in enough pain to make him hurt like that. He stared desperately at Nightmare, hoping he would understand.

Nightmare stared back and did seem to understand, but he was unwilling to answer any questions right then. "Just rest, Cross. I will speak to you more about it tomorrow morning, okay?" This soft way of speaking seemed to send a pulse of uncertainty through Nightmare, like he wasn't used to it.

Nightmare's touches were hesitant too, his tentacles curling uncertainly behind him, like this was the first time they weren't trying to be violent with something. And it probably was. Cross felt confusion. He met Nightmare's eye and flinched as the other reached out to his face.

He paused as he realized he was not going to be struck and only felt Nightmare's finger gently wiping away his tears. He blinked and looked up at the other, a slight purple lighting up on his face again. It only got worse as Nightmare's normally cold feeling was replaced with an odd warmth.

When he spoke again, his voice was a soft rumble that almost lulled Cross back to sleep right then and there. "Goodnight, Cross. Rest well."