thirteen

Somebody hushes beside me. A hand is out on my shoulder. Lexi is my first thought. I frantically open my eyes to see Lexi standing with one hand on my shoulder and other on her hips.

"Easy," she says.

Even in sleep, I can make out it's her. I somehow managed to curl myself in this small space and sleep on the window seat. Stretching myself I look at the window. My breath has left fog on it. Weird.

"Scoot," she says. I remove the cushion to make some space for her. The window feels chilly on my arm as I use it for support.

"Scoot more." She says and I roll my eyes. Backing a little I wince when I hit the bookshelf attached to my window seat.

"So what's it like?" Lexi asks ignoring me

"How's what?" I act as if her question doesn't make any sense and clear the window with my hands. Trees sway as wind blows.

"Fine" she starts to get up and leave.

"Oh c'mon" I laugh "It's okay." I lie.

She raises her eyebrows "That's it?"

"Yeah," I say and look out of the window

"Al" she pushes me. Lex knows how to push my buttons

"I feel comfortable with him," I say. I don't say much, I don't want her to get the wrong idea. I also feel like I can do something without him judging me. He looks dumber than me.

"It's okay." She says

"But isn't it weird to feel like that with someone I've only known for such a short time."

"No it's not" she turns towards me "Time really doesn't matter."

"Uh-huh," I shorty reply and go back to looking out of my window.

After dinner, I'm restless and anxious. Lex's statement that time doesn't really matter keeps on nagging me. It's just been three days and I have already started liking to go out and be with him. It's weird, and kind of uncomfortable, to realize I might've started to outgrow things that made up almost my whole life.
                                         ****   
I've been lying on my bed since the morning. Mom and Dad left around 9, the sound of the door closing and the house going back to quiet felt like bliss. I don't know where's Lexi or what's she's doing; I haven't talked to her much since the evening. The green digits on my clock display the time, It's 1:00 Pm already. I lack the energy to get out of the bed. Ryan hasn't messaged me which is weird but I try to divert my mind from that certain thought. It's a total failure.

The sound of my stomach rumbling is enough incentive to get me in the shower and go downstairs.

The aroma of food reaches me as I step down the stairs.

"I made breakfast." She looks at the wall where the clock hangs "Well lunch."

I nod my head. She looks pissed, But why? I try to start the conversation with the only meaningful thing I can think of right now "Why is Doris not coming anymore did something happen?" I'm not keen on having old people around me but Doris, she, well, passes the vibe check.

Lexi looks at me dumbfounded as if I'm Doris's PA "She took a leave for 15 to 20 days. Depending on her son's condition."

"Uh-huh" I can't think of one time somebody told me this piece of information but I let go. I'm in no mood to spark a fight.

****

Agatha Christie once said "The young people think the old people are fools but the old people know the young people are fools"