The Path Forward

(Hello! And welcome to Showtime! There will NOT be love at first sight in this story. Also, I try to keep every character as close to their canon personalities as possible. Well, every character except for one. You'll find out who. Thank you and enjoy!)    

Cross swore loudly as another vine hooked around his leg. He formed a glowing red blade and sliced it off of himself. He winced, feeling a pain in his ribs. He'd forgotten how damaging some of his father's attacks could be. He paused for a moment, a bag slung over his shoulder and his hood pulled up. It was growing dark. He dissipated the blade, but continued to stand still, a hand over his ribs. "Ah!" He hissed as he pushed one back into place. It fucking hurt. He continued and managed to break forward into a clearing.

He quickly dropped his bag and leaned against a tree. He pulled up his shirt slightly. His ribs were fractured and a couple were out of place. He lowered his shirt back down before looking around. There. He grabbed a stick, placed it between his jaws, and sat back against the tree.

His hands lit up red and he screwed his eyes shut, muffling a shriek as he forced one of his ribs back into place. He continued until his ribs were healed. He pulled the stick out of his mouth, bitemarks having been splintered into it. He tossed it aside and tried to calm himself down.

As he panted, he felt something. He started shaking. Waves of pain were sweeping over his body. And they weren't from his ribs. No, it was an outside source. Aching through his body. Pounding in his head. Something was nearby.

Cross hated that ability of his. He had the gift of being able to feel what others could. Whether it was an animal, monster or human. And right now, something nearby was in pain. He doubled over and stopped as he heard noises. He froze.

A chill went up his spine as he heard shaky, terrified-sounding, wheezy breaths. He raised his head and saw a messy looking clump of vines. They seemed to be growing up something, almost completely hiding it.

He peered closer and blinked as he made out the slightest hint of a faded, striped pattern. Was that... a tent? Well, good, that meant he was close to where he was going but... He pushed himself to his feet, taking a few cautious steps towards it.

It... didn't look like a normal tent... more... more like a very small circus tent. He crept closer and stepped on a stick. It snapped and the raspy breathing stopped. Cross, against his better judgement, got closer and the pain magnified into fear and desperation. Anger. An overflow of emotions. His vision was spinning.

He took a step back as he heard something from inside the tent. It sounded like something was retching. He stared at the striped wall and was so focused, he failed to sense the monster behind him.

He shrieked as he felt a hand on his shoulder. He stumbled and almost fell forward. Before he could hit the thorns around the tent, something grabbed his hood. He stopped, panting, his eyes wide. Whoever it was yanked him back roughly and he fell back.

He blinked and looked up as a red glow greeted him. "Heya, what the fuck are you doin' here?" A rough, scratchy voice spoke. For a moment, Cross didn't answer, distracted by what appeared to be a target-shaped, glowing red soul. It was another skeleton. They seemed to study him with empty eyesockets.

"Why're you dressed like a cow?" The skeleton snickered. Immediately, Cross froze up, bad memories returning to him. He quickly shook his head and got to his feet. He faced the other skeleton uncertainly. Was this...? The other skeleton scoffed, seeming unfriendly. "Well?"

"My name is Cross. I'm looking for the Sceletus." He said uneasily. The circus often came through his town once a year. The other skeleton blinked and suddenly seemed uneasy. Cross could sense it. He could sense uneasiness and a little... fear? Was the other scared of him?