Chapter Twenty-three: Friday

Shin Ryujin's POV

*knock knock knock*

"Ryujin? What brought you here?" Lia opened the door and asked me to come inside. Today's class was cancelled, fortunately. I was worried about Yeddeong because of last night. I never got to know what happened since everyone was asked to leave immediately. I couldn't even sleep last night 'cause all I can see was her devastated state.

"Are you the only one who can visit her?" I got annoyed at her for no reason. I know we're best friends but right now all i can see is flames when she's around.

"Woah. Chill out. What did I ever do to you?" She retorted matching my tone. I sighed and try to suppress the incoming unpleasant mood of mine.

"I'm sorry." I whispered. "Where is she?"

"Who?" She asked dumbfounded. I rolled my eyes at her and gave her a pointed look. "Ryujin, I think it's better if you go home."

"Excuse me?"

She sighed and walked towards where I am sitting. "Look, she's not herself right now. She doesn't open her door for anyone, not even to her sister." Her eyes became sad and I almost saw a tear formed before she hastily blinked it away. "You're my bestfriend and she's my friend, please, oh my god this isn't gonna get better. Just go home."

"She's my friend too, Lia. Let me atleast try." I stood up and was about to run to Yeji's bedroom when she pulled me back down.

"Ryujin! Stop! For all I know, you're the last person she wants to see!" She blurted and her eyes flickered in regret. Though, I didn't understand where she's coming from.

"What did I ever do wrong?" I whisper-yelled at her and grabbed my hair in frustration. She started pacing back and forth, head tilted upward, at the same state as I am.

"You'll never understand, Ryujin." She melancholy spoke.

"Then make me fucking understand because I'm so fucking lost!" I yelled not holding back the annoyance that exploded in my veins. It pains me everytime I try to look at Yeji and smile but she wouldn't reciprocate. I could tell by her eyes that she's troubled. Don't get me wrong, I don't exactly know how much I know her but it's enough for me to care. All those times we've spent together, all those little fights, treating and sharing each other's foods, they were all some of the best times I've had in my life. How she does it is unexplainable. My sudden blatant shouting gained attention coming from the other room. Jeongyeon, Nayeon, Jennie, Lisa, Momo, and Dahyun went out of the room and looked at me in panic.

"And you're here?" I asked Jeongyeon with a menace in my voice, laughing fakely.

"Ryu-"

"Don't fucking Ryujin me! Tell me everything!"

"There's noth-" Nayeon tried to cut me off but my vision was filled with red glitters, blurring my coherent thoughts.

"LIKE HELL THERE'S NOTHING! SOMETHING IS DEFINITELY ANYTHING!" I screamed as I tried to make my way past them so I can finally see her. The last time we talked was wednesday and it didn't even went well. I just want to know how she's doing but these people are making it difficult.

"WILL YOU STOP???" Dahyun shouted and started sobbing. I was shocked and couldn't move a single muscle. Momo came to her and hugged her, caressing her back in the process to comfort her. Then, a door slammed open making all of us tilt our head to the direction. Yeddeong. My heart started beating faster once I saw her figure, I wanted to run and hug her but I couldn't. It seems like I've been planted on a cement.

Our eyes connected for a brief second before she pulled away and went to Dahyun unnie grabbing her hand bringing her back to the bedroom, locking it. A few seconds. Few seconds were all it took for me to recognize her disheveled state. Her hair was messy, eyes were swollen, her cheeks were puffy, bags under her enticing eyes, and her usual posture was not the same. It made me fear for something worst. I looked back at the others who were now sitting on the living room looking restless which made me realize that I'm still at the bottom of the staircase, eyes on the petite girl's bedroom. I looked down and sat beside them.

"Please, just tell me what's going on." I pleaded, gulping the invisible confidence I can take.

"We can't. She's the one who should if she wanted to." Momo replied. I nodded and stood up muttering my word in understanding and left the place downhearted. As I was walking, I was met with Chaeryeong who's blushing in coldness, she greeted me happily and hugged me. I accepted it since I really needed it.

"Where are you going?" I asked her when she pulled away.

"Yeji's house." I stared at her not believing what I just heard.

"They don't want visitors. Just go back home."

"Lia asked me to come." She said and put her hands in her pockets. Her reply made me scowl receiving a weird look from her. I shooked my head, brushed past her, "Yeah, right. Cool. Whatever." and walked away.

I walked around the streets trying to reflect on everything I've done during the past few days, but nothing makes sense. Though, those people in Yeji's house at the moment have been acting really weird. I entered the coffee shop and ordered my favorite mocha frappe and bread. Once I got it, I sat near a large window wherein you'll see the car and people passing by. I've never thought that watching an endless road can be satisfying.

"May I seat with you? I'm not taking a no for an answer anyway." I chuckled and drank from my frappe. Even this favorite of mine doesn't agree with my mood. I felt her eyes on me and I looked back questioningly.

"What happened?" Heejin asked and caressed the back of my hand.

"Have you ever felt a satisfaction from watching an endless road?"

"Yep. I think that for me, psychologically, it happens when you're head is running through series of unstable thoughts." She shrugged. I thought for a minute and it actually makes sense. My head has been in a wildfire for I don't know how long.

"That's great, tell me more."

"Well,if you're having a hard time expressing yourself since those thoughts are clouding you, how do you think people get to their destination?"

I thought for a minute and answered, "Travel."

"That's right. If you want to get out of that, you must travel and explore it, one by one." She said, her eyes never leaving mine.

"Can I tell you something?"

"Anything." She squeezed my hand to tell me that she'll be there which made my heart flutter.

"My friends have been acting weird and something happened yesterday which brought me to this state. I'm worried. Especially, for her. Yeji." I felt her hand ungrasp my hand which made me look up. She looks strange and uneasy which made me feel a little concerned.

"Are you okay?" I tried to reach for her hand but she put it on her lap and grabbed her phone, typing quickly. She hummed and stood up.

"I gotta go. Mom just texted me saying I need to get home, it's urgent." With that, she stormed out of the place. I asked the waiter to take-out the food since I lost my appetite. I'll just give it to Yuna. Since our house is just a 5-minute walk, I've decided to walk. I sighed as I feel the cold breeze dances with my hair, the sound of leaves rustling in distance, and mechanical vibrations coming from the cars that passes by. I turned around the street alley since there's a road blocking on the shortcut, and I was met with three hooded slim-figured people. Before I could process everything, a punch landed on my face.

Hwang Yeji's POV

When all I heard was silence, I asked my sister to leave and she quickly obeyed. I followed her and locked the door. The reason why I took her was I knew she's in a bad state and I knew that I have to pull her away, what I didn't expect was that Ryujin would be in such behavior and it shocked me. I thought that maybe she cares. Yes, of course, she does as a friend. But not the way I want her to care. It's been hours and I'm laying in my bed, looking like a sick burrito, while staring blankly at the television. I was about to fall asleep when my phone vibrated. I took it from the side table, groaning because I forgot to turn it off, but the unknown number displayed on the screen put it all side.

UNKNOWN NUMBER
IBFQRM
IBFQRM
IBFQRM

I frowned, finding it weird, and turned it off not wanting to receive another nonsense phrases. Must have sent it to a wrong number or just one of those pranksters.

—————

👉🏻 Can you guys see any possibilities? 🤠

THANK YOU FOR READIIIINGGG HNGGG 💖💗