Always By My Side ❀ M. Atsumu & M. Osamu

a/n This time it's both the Miya brothers!!! I love them so much (but not as much as Kuroo) and I really love their dynamic together, being opposites but still able to work together... I've brought back a mythical AU and you can probably already guess what folklore they're from. Enjoy!

[ Requested by: nekurooma ]

Yokai AU

✼ 𝕤𝕥𝕒𝕣𝕥 ✼

"(y/n)-chan, do you want to go out with us today?" your friend asked, looking at you as you packed away your belongings. 

"Sorry (f/n)-san, I have my part-time job this afternoon, I'll join you guys another time," you apologised, looking at your crestfallen friend.

"Ehhh? Again?" 

"We have the festival to prepare for and I'm in charge of preparations this year," you sighed, walking out of the classroom with your friend. 

"Oh well, good luck then! I'll come to watch you," your friend teased, noticing your cheeks start to redden. 

"Please don't! It's embarrassing enough as it is and I don't need you there to tease me," you groaned, playfully pushing your friend to the side. 

Being a shrine maiden was a part of your family's tradition for many years. Your family had owned and looked after the shrine for almost three generations and as such you were guided to become the next head shrine maiden. Although over time the culture of it began to lessen in jobs and not necessarily requiring certain abilities, you were still to uphold the family tradition. 

By the time you made it up to the top of the shrine, you were panting and huffing from the exhaustion. No matter how many times you walked up those stairs, you could never really feel fine afterwards. 

You glanced around making sure no one was around. 

"You guys can come out now!" you shouted, trying to spot where they would come out from today. Suddenly you felt cold hands over your eyes, pulling you towards their chest.

"Atsumu, I swear if it's you again," you growled.

"Ha, you guessed it," he released his hands over your eyes and in return had gotten a flick to his forehead. He winced, before cheekily grinning at you. "What's got your panties in a twist?"

You flushed red, smacking him repeatedly. "You dirty-minded, foul mouth fox!"

"Ouch! W-w-wait- Ah!- stop!" Atsumu yelled, shielding himself from your attacks. Just as you were about to give him another slap, a hand gripped onto yours, spinning you right around. Your (e/c)-coloured eyes met golden ones. 

"'Samu!" you smiled widely, doing a complete 180, giving the other male a warm hug. "My favourite twin!" 

Behind you, Atsumu placed a hand over his heart in pain. "Ouch, (y/n)-chan... how could you say that right in front of me? I thought I was your favourite twin," he pouted, only to earn a glare from you. 

"Then maybe don't say and do things like that!" you complained. "At least Osamu has a filter and doesn't decide to scare people," you muttered under your breath. "I've become so paranoid over you!" as you frowned over having to look out for where he would come out from whenever you entered shrine grounds.

Osamu could fill the corner of his lips tugging upwards. It was uncommon for kitsunes to feel emotions, yet he couldn't help but feel warm knowing that he was obviously the favoured twin. He looked between you and his brother, bickering with each other and throwing insults. 

"Shouldn't you be cleaning the place now?" he interrupted your argument about fatty tuna and the health problems about it. He knew not to question your arguments anymore.

Your face paled. Checking your watch, you realised you had wasted a good half an hour arguing with Atsumu. You quickly ran to the shrine house, grabbing the broom and began to sweep the leaves away from the path. 

"You know," Atsumu began, as he sat in a tree above you. "If you asked nicely, I could easily send a gust of wind to help you,"

You raised an eyebrow at the boy. Last time he had offered to help, he had sent a mini-tornado through the shrine, basically destroying more things than helping clean. Although you had to admit, that was when he was a young kitsune and couldn't control his powers. 

"... I think I'm good," you responded. It was better not to take any chances. 

"Your loss then,"

The gentle rustling of the leaves around you and the broom brushing against the stone path surrounded the three of you. It was normal that nobody would say anything, it was comfortable to have everyone together. 

"How long are you guys going to be here?" you suddenly asked. 

"Hmm, I don't know," Atsumu pondered, looking at his brother. "What do you think 'Samu?"

Osamu looked at you. "... until you want us to leave I guess," Atsumu nodded his head in agreement. "Sounds about right,"

"I don't think I ever want you guys to leave," you suddenly said. Somewhere in your heart, you knew eventually they would need to. In these modern ages, it was hard to say when the shrine could become abandoned. Although you knew your family would never do such a thing, a small fraction of doubt lingered. It wasn't entirely impossible but you didn't know what the future would hold. 

"Then we won't," a voice beside you said gently. You looked to your right, seeing Atsumu standing beside you smiling. He interlocked his fingers in yours, holding your hand tightly.

"We're not going to leave you alone," Osamu said, now gently holding your left hand. With a flick of his wrist, a light breeze flew through the shrine, picking up the leaves and dropping them to the side. You gave him a small smile as thanks. 

"We'll be here always." 

✼ 𝕖𝕟𝕕 ✼