Chapter Thirty Seven

Javier:

"Mamá." I shouted out loud. The door swung open and I was hit by a wall of my mother's perfume.

"¿Qué?...Javier!" She yelled and suddenly I was squashed in her arms, being shaken side to side. "My Javier is home! Antonio! Javier is here!"

"Mamá. My ear." I laughed and she let me go.

"Lo siento, hijo. Inside. Come inside. Let's get - " She stopped when she noticed I wasn't alone on the doorstep. "Who is this?" She asked me in Spanish.

"Ai...Mamá. This is my friend, Yuzuru. Yuzuru, this is my mother. Enriqueta." I dragged him closer to me. He gave me a panicked look before he bit his bottom lip and bowed politely.

"Hello." He said quietly in English and it was disturbing how quickly my mother's face morphed into delight.

"Javier, oh my goodness. Look at him, he's so cute." She gushed in Spanish and Yuzu blinked at me with wide eyes again when my mother also pulled him in for a quick hug before dragging him inside. "Antonio! Antonio, Javier brought a friend with him!"

"Stop yelling, woman. I can hear you." My father grumbled as he came round the corner. "What's all the fuss about?"

"Yuzu!?" Laura squealed as she stuck her head around the corner. "Oh my God, you're really here." The tightness in Yuzu's shoulders relaxed a little at the sight of my sister but he still looked vaguely like a skittish kitten.

"You know Javier's friend?"

"Of course we know each other. Skating is a small world, Mamá."

"Oh! You're a skater too?"

"Better than Javi."

"Hey!" I tried to interject but everyone was talking over me.

"Laura, ask him if he wants to eat something. Look at his waist. I haven't seen a waist that small since the 90s."

"He doesn't want to eat, Mamá."

"You didn't ask!"

"You're making a noise! The neighbour's can hear you!" My father bellowed.

"They're used to it by now, Antonio. Don't be such a tonto."

"Dios mio, I don't know if this is a new headache or the old one is back."

"Javier, take your friend's bag upstairs. I'm going to make him something to eat."

"He doesn't want to eat, Mamá!"

"Sorry about that." I said, closing the door behind me softly. It was the first time it was quiet in the house since Yuzu and I had arrived.

"It's OK." He smiled at me, peeking from under the covers and I giggled, switching off the lights and diving for the bed.

"Warm enough?"

"I'm fine, Javi."

"I can make you warmer..." I offered, curling towards him and trying to wrap my arms around his waist.

"Don't you dare." He warned. "Not in your mother's house."

"Baby..."

"No." He said simply and I sighed in defeat.

Skating at home in Madrid was always surreal. Spain was not really a country that was very well known for skating, but in the past few years the interest had boomed and I loved it that I had helped other kids who were out there like me, who were interested in skating, to have more rinks available throughout the city.