Chapter Two

Javier:

"Papa wants to know when you're coming home."

"I don't know." I told my sister as I emptied my plate of leftovers.

"The season is almost over. You can come home for your birthday, no?"

"Maybe." I hummed and put my plate in the sink. I'd wash it later when I had time.

"Javi..."

Laura..." I copied her tone. "The season might be over but you know what training for the Olympics is like." I muttered. Having one day off, even if it was my birthday was almost impossible. Muscle memory was important for something as nerve-wrecking as a competition that big. I'd learnt that the hard way at Worlds. When your head wasn't in the game, sometimes it was easier just to trust your body to know what to do.

Come to think of it, it had to have been the same for Yuzuru at Worlds a few years ago. Despite having been knocked on the floor and practically bleeding all over the ice, he'd picked himself up and skated. He'd barely landed any of his jumps but his technical score had still been enough to inch his way to the top and he'd pushed me back to silver. At the time I thought he was crazy...

"I know what training is like." My sister replied. "I was there before you, kiddo." I chuckled as I flopped back on my couch, the TV was playing something boring so I turned it off.

"Do you regret it?" I asked her softly.

"Retiring?" She mused. "No, I don't regret it. My heart wasn't in it anymore and I really enjoy being a nurse right now." I could hear the smile in her voice. "Why do you ask?"

"No reason." I mumbled. I was still at my peak, physically speaking. But mentally...I just couldn't think of a reason why I kept putting myself through the pressure every year anymore. I loved skating; that much hadn't changed over the years at all. But competing was gnawing at my bones and I was just so tired all the time lately...

That was why I was surprised when Coach Brian had come to me to ask about Yuzuru coming to train in Toronto with us. A lot of skaters asked to come train at the rink with me and my Olympic medal winning coach and I'd always said no because I liked my own space but...Yuzuru was the last person I would have expected to ask to train with me. Coach Brian had said that Yuzuru wanted to train with the best. I didn't feel like the best right now. I felt...

"Try. Papa is worried about you."

"Tell Papa he's being an old man." I laughed without humour. "I'm fine. I'll talk to my coach, OK?"

"I'll talk to you later. Bye. Love you."

"Love you too."

"You're late." Coach Brian said as soon as I stepped inside the doors to the club.

"It's only 6:25." I said, slipping off my jacket and taking a sip of my coffee. Just as I lowered my flask I saw a familiar black-haired phantom flying across the ice and landing a clean triple axel. My heart stuttered in my chest and I couldn't swallow. He was here. He was really here...

"Practice starts at 6:30." He huffed. "Yuzuru has been here since 6."

"He has?" I blurted and dropped my flask next to my bag quickly. What the hell? When had he even flown in that he was up and skating at 6 already...

"Hurry up and put on your skates. Get warmed up." Coach muttered. He didn't have to tell me twice. I bolted for the rink and put on my skates faster than I'd probably ever had in my life.