Chapter Thirty Three

A/N: After 450 years... 😫 

Javier:

"I made you hot chocolate."

"How am I supposed to drink it all the way over here?"

"I drank it for you."

"How generous of you." Yuzu said drolly and I snickered. Yuzu's cheeks rounded into those perfect little dumplings and I wanted to kiss him so badly.

"How many interviews today?"

"Just the one with Matsuda Sensei . Then I have a school visit." Yuzu hummed. "That one I'm nervous about."

"Why? You love kids?" I said, kicking at the ice under my skates.

"Kids ask so many questions. Sometimes they're worse than journalists." He chuckled. He spotted something I couldn't see behind his phone and sighed softly. "There's my mom. I have to go."

"I'll call you later, OK."

"Okaasan, I'm coming." He grumbled as he hung up. I sighed as I skated back to my bag at the side of the rink to tuck my phone inside the side pocket.

"Javi. When you lock up later please check that Tracy is gone first." Coach Brian said with a raised eyebrow as he gathered his things.

"Oh my God. It was ONE time!" I exclaimed. "I didn't know she was still here."

"That's why I'm telling you to check." He huffed, opening his mouth to launch into another lecture but I was saved by a beep on his phone. "Be good. Don't break anything."

"I won't."

"The kid counts as anything, just by the way." He called as he was leaving.

"I'm not going to break Phillipe." I snorted and spun back on the ice to do a few more practice jumps before Phillipe showed up. I had had trouble nailing the landing for my quad axel in Tokyo but it must have just been nerves. It seemed OK now.

"Wow! That was so cool." I heard Phillipe crow from the side of the rink half an hour later, eyes wide as he watched me circle around to him. "Can you teach me how to do that today?"

"Walk before you can fly, little one. Baby steps." I ruffled his hair as I skated past. "Come on. Skates on."

"You OK?" Cal asked me as he waved another beer in my face quizzically. I said no to the beer and shrugged to answer his question. "What's up? Nervous for the next comp?"

"Not really."

"Homesick?" He tried again. I snorted and shook my head again.

"No." After Shanghai we'd be heading for Madrid soon. My mother was probably bursting at the seams already. I knew Laura was, though she'd been silent lately ever since I'd given her number to Yuzu. My eyes narrowed suspiciously and I took a sip of water.

"You've been quiet ever since you got back from Japan. Is Yuzuru still up ...ah..." He said, light dawning in his eyes. "I get it now."

"Get what?"

"You miss him." He said with a massive grin on his face.

"I don't know what you're talking about." I mumbled even though he was right on the money and him pointing it out only made me feel even worse. I missed Yuzu. A lot. I bit my bottom lip to keep from admitting it out loud though. I didn't really have a problem telling my friends that Yuzu and I were more than just friends per se, but I knew it freaked Yuzu out to have even just our family know about the two of us together.

"Dude, you act like we haven't seen how you two are around each other. And I've seen the videos. Trust me. It's cool." He patted me on the back with his large hand. "I told you before; if you're happy, I'm happy. "

"Wait, what videos?" I blinked at him and he coughed as he choked on his beer.

"You haven't seen the videos?" He spluttered.

"WHAT videos?" I repeated.

"Javi..." He put his beer down on the counter next to us and reached behind him to pull his phone out his back pocket. "My sister has been showing me these for like a week now. But they've definitely been around for longer than that."

"Show me." I held out my hand for his phone and he pursed his lips.

"Alright, alright. Hold your damn horses." He grumbled while he typed. After a moment he held out his phone and I snatched it out of his hand rather rudely. I couldn't help it though. I was a little worried about what these videos were that would make my friend guess about our relationship.

"Yuzu...vier?" I frowned at the name in the search bar. "What the hell is this?" I asked, scrolling down the screen. More and more videos flew by.

"It's a combination of your names. Duh."

"Duh." I said with a sarcastic eye roll. "I know that. But I don't understand..."

"Ever since they did that interview and they showed that video of you two skating together during training, apparently quite a few people have been obsessed with proving you guys are together."

"I ..." I stared at his phone blankly when I clicked on one of the videos and it started to play. It was a little disconcerting to watch myself. I rarely did except when Coach Brian made me watch back my performances to show me where I messed up. And in these videos...Did I really look like that when I looked at Yuzu? Was I that much of a lovesick puppy? "How did they even get these?" I murmured when a video of Yuzu and I eating lunch together popped up and little hearts were swimming by on the screen.

"Fans are scary these days." Cal snorted. "If you're not careful, one day there'll be a video of you on the toilet online for the whole world to see." He said with a strange look on his face.

"Why would I be careful in the damn...never mind." I said and went back to the video. There were so many of them. So many stolen moments between Yuzu and I, from recent competitions we'd been to, practice and outside of practice. Suddenly I understood why Yuzu had been so paranoid when I'd grabbed his hand in Japan. I guess I was pretty popular as a figure skater but Spain as a country wasn't known for its figure skating so it made me less recognizable. Yuzu on the other hand had been voted the most popular athlete in Japan twice in a row. He was much more likely to be followed around than I was.

"This is crazy though." I whispered. I stared at the screen in fascination at just how many Yuzuvier videos were online. Some people had way too much time on their hands.

"Hey, at least its positive, right? Cal said, smacking me on the back again. "Like I was telling you my sister has been showing them to me all week. She thinks it's adorable. Everyone does."

"They do?" I tried to wrap my head around the concept of people thinking two grown men acting like idiots together as being adorable. Then I remembered Yuzu's giggles at karaoke when we'd been singing. That had been adorable as hell.

"Look at that smile." Cal chuckled. "Seriously. I'm happy for you."

"Thanks." I mumbled distractedly handing his phone back to him. I was happy too...but these videos... I had to tell Yuzu.