Chapter 2

Nene's POV

Words are not enough to express how happy i am. I couldn't wait to call up Lola and share the good news.

I ran to my room, pulled out my phone from my bag and dialed her number.

"Hey girl." Lola said as soon as she picked.

"Hi Lolly." I replied, giggling.

"Hmmm, you sound happy. Let me guess, they said yes? Yes?!" Lola sounded hyper excited.

"Yes! My dad and mum approved!...well, my mum was kind of against it but she didn't have any choice when my dad accepted." I said almost screaming with joy.

"Wow, I've got a roommate now. I'm so thrilled! As in, just imagine us having our space, doing things together, and all that... wait! When are you moving? Like, are you moving in tomorrow?" Lola said almost rushing her words.

"Slow down girl. You just reminded me, I haven't told them I'll be sharing a room with a friend." I said as I sat on my bed.

"What?! You didn't...? Please tell them na... I'd like you to move in tomorrow...pleaaassse." she pleaded

"Ok, ok, I'll speak to them about it. I've got to go now." I replied.

"Wait!" Lola screamed on the phone.

"Let me know when you're done telling them, so I can text you my address." She said.

"Lola, if at all I'll stay with you, I'd like us to share the rent, ok."

There was silence on the phone.

"Hellooo...you there? ...Lola, are you on the line?" I asked.

"Why would you do that? I won't accept that condition." Lola replied.

"I really don't want to be a burden, please." I replied slowly.

"A burden?!" She asked.

"Who is a burden? You?... Nene, you just offended me. I'm so sad... to think you have this kind of thought about our friendship, it just made me weak?" She said, sounding sad.

"I'm sorry Lolly, I didn't mean to offend you." I said.

"I just don't feel comfortable living at your place without contributing to...

"Stop it, Nenny." Lola interjects.

"Please, stop...please. Why are you making this so difficult...what you are saying is hurting me." Lola said sounding as if she was about to cry.

"Lola..." I whispered.

"Nenny, you know you turned down the accommodation offer during your Registration with the hope that you'll be coming to the University from home. Do you think that offer will still be available by now? Another student must have occupied it already." She said

"Do me a favour dearie, let's not drag this. Talk to your dad and mum... I'm sure they'll allow you to stay with me. I'll send you my address now. Please let's forget we had this rent talk, ok... you'll stay with me, ok." She said firmly.

"Ok. Thanks, Lola, I appreciate." I replied reluctantly, not wanting to argue with her anymore.

"I'll send you my hostel address, ok. You got that, right?" Lola repeated.

"Yes Lolly, I look forward to getting it." I replied laughing softly.

"YES!" Lola yelled on the phone. I had to pull my phone away from my ear because she was so loud.