jaebeom. pt 2.

part two. final.

prince jaebeom had ordered the grand duke to visit every house in the kingdom in hopes to find the girl of his dreams, so that the two of them could finally be together forever. he bit his fingernails as he sat on the edge of his bed, anxiously waiting for the grand duke's return.

"why isn't he back yet?" he angrily shouted into his hands as his father stood in front of him, his hands locked behind his back. the king unclasped his hands as he gave his son's shoulder a small squeeze.

"i'm certain he will be back soon," the king reassured his son. "there are many young maidens in the kingdom, it is only natural for it to be taking this long."

prince jaebeom let out a frustrated sigh as he leaned back on the mattress of his bed, his arms supporting his head as he stared up at the silk canopy of his bed.

"she was just so-" he trailed off, words floating around his head. he could pick anyone of those words yet, neither of them seemed to be perfect enough to describe his young love. "there isn't any perfect word to describe her. she was just like a dream."

the king's lips curved upwards into a small smile as he watched his son's eyes glisten in admiration at the thought of the young woman he had fallen in love with last night.

"jaebeom," he called. "are you sure this is the woman you want to rule the kingdom with?"

prince jaebeom sat up and stared into his father's eyes, making sure his eyes gave the answer he was searching for.

"i don't believe i've ever been more certain of anything in my life," he confessed, a small smile making its way onto his face. "i've never felt anything like what i felt with that girl last night."

his father smiled and gave his shoulder yet another squeeze as he stood from his seat on the side of his bed.

"then i'm sure my future daughter in law and i will get along just fine," was the last thing he spoke before exiting the room, leaving the prince alone with his thoughts once more.

prince jaebeom fell back onto the mattress of his bed once more, turning onto his side to stare outside the floor to ceiling windows that replaced one of his walls.

"wherever you are," he began, "please come back to me."

whilst he daydreamed about the idea of his young maiden, the young woman whom had snuck into the ball to dance with the prince was now locked in her own attic, desperately trying to break open the door.

"please open," she sobbed, fiddling with the door handle as much as she could. the carriage in front of the house indicated that the grand duke and the footman are already inside the house. "please!"

she looked around the room, her eyes searching for anything she could use to break open the door. she grabbed a heavy box in the corner of the room, throwing it against the door only for it come to no avail. she frustratingly sighed as she threw her shoulder against the door, hoping it would loosen the hinges.

yet it never opened, leaving her to sob alone in the empty attic, her knees pulled up to her chest. she looked around the room before her eyes finally halted on one specific item laying hidden in a different corner of the room, a dusty old blanket covering it up. she scrambled onto her feet as she removed the blanket, revealing a small basket of knitting materials.

she searched through the box before finally coming across a knitting needle, silently praying inside her head that her idea would work. she rushed to the door, entering the needle into the small keyhole and began to do her work. the voices of her stepsisters rang throughout her ears as she did her best to focus on picking the lock until finally, it opened.

she was ecstatic as she ran through the hallway, descending down the staircase just in time as the grand duke had almost made his way out the door.

"wait!" she shouted, the sound of her voice startling the duke into turning back around. "let me try it on!"

her stepmother looked as though her head would explode at any moment now. the grand duke gave the young maiden a smile as she reached the first floor at last and sat in a chair. the grand duke held her single glass slipper, ready to slip it onto her foot.

"you can't possibly-"

"i'm sorry miss," the grand duke cut the stepmother off as he crouched in front of the young woman. "my order was 'every maiden.'"

her stepmother glared as the grand duke softly grabbed the back of her heel, slowly guiding her foot into the slipper. as soon as he had slipped it onto her foot, he smiled.

"it fits."

she left her old home that day and with that, she left behind the cruelty bestowed upon her by her stepmother and stepsisters. she was finally on the path to a much better life, and she couldn't wait to start.

"your highness?" a voice called into the prince's room as a maid had stuck her head into the room. prince jaebeom's head snapped to the door as he scrambled onto his feet, making his way over to her. "they found her."

he rushed down the long corridor until he made it into the ballroom where it was empty except for the one small figure in the middle of the extravagant room.

it was her.

her fingers played with each other as she turned her head around to the source of the echoing footsteps where once again, her eyes met with the prince's.

she may not have been wearing her beautiful blue ball gown, she may have been wearing her usual maiden outfit, her hair may not have been in its long, wavy curls, she may not have been a princess at all, yet she almost looked even more beautiful than she had all dressed up to him.

his lips parted in adoration as he approached her, his eyes finally looking into hers once more.

"it's you," he chuckled, his eyes even becoming filled to the brim with tears. "it's you!"

she giggled as he pulled her into his chest, spinning her around in his arms. she clutched onto his shoulders as he set her down, his hands softly resting on her hips as his thumb soothed the fabric of her dress.

"you're even more beautiful than i remembered," he muttered as he leaned in so that they were practically sharing the same breaths. she chuckled as her cheeks visibly reddened, his hand reaching up to caress her. "may i?"

she nodded, seeming to be unable to speak. he smiled against her soft lips as he pressed his against hers, enrapturing her into the most magical kiss, the only kiss, she's ever had. they chuckled against each other's lips as they pulled away, leaving enough room for him to bow and for her to curtsy.

"may i have this dance?" he asked, outstretching his hand. she smiled as she took his hand, resting one hand on his shoulder and interlocking the other with his.

"you may."

and so they danced as if they were at the ball once again, their eyes never once leaving each other's.

"so if i may ask again," prince jaebeom began. "what is your name?"

she smiled as he spun her around, his hands finding their place on her waist once more.

"y/n."