A showcase with @Victoriarosefly, author of My Fate is At War With My Soul

1 what inspired the idea of your story? 

The inspiration for this story was music of course, but also my own struggles with God, the church (in general), Christians and depression. I've struggled a lot coming from an over religious family, so this story was like my voice in the wind desperate to be heard.

2 what is something you struggled constructing with your story?

something that I really struggled constructing within this story was character development and who I wanted my characters to be at the end of this story. Building different personalities is extremely hard, and I spent several months researching about mental health and the problems that plagued my characters within this story.

 3 what did you enjoy writing most of your story? 

The parts that I enjoyed the most was the chapter focusing on Ava's birth and this other chapter where she fell asleep and had this god-awful nightmare. I have to admit. That particular chapter was extremely hard to write because I went from present-dream state to present where my character had woken up and was terrified. Then after awhile, she slipped into a memory from the past and I went back to the present where she was in her room again. It was a lot of hard work and dedication, but I managed to get through it all.

4 what's the overall response of your story from your readers?

When I was still participating in book clubs, the overall response that I got from readers was that the story was dark and sad, but the moments that Ava had with Hannah were really beautiful.

 5 is your story a stand alone novel or a piece of a series ?

"My Fate is At War With My Soul" will actually be a series, but I just haven't figured out the name of the series yet.

 6 what would you like your readers to take away from your story?

the message  that I would like readers to take away from my story is this: No matter how dark your life might seem, there is hope out in the distance if you can just grab it and hold on a little longer.

Hope may not be religion. Or it may not be a special sermon from your pastor. Instead, it could be a song, a lasting friendship, therapy, or even your children. Whatever it is, you just have to find it and hold on because you will make it through. 

 7 what advice would you provide to fellow writers, when it comes to focusing on their own story? 

The advice that I would like to give to my fellow writers is to not give up. I have been to hell and back with my life as a writer, but the thing that has really helped me to persevere through it all is music and my desire to not give up. Family members would often make fun of me for writing a book for four years, and as a young teen at the time, that really put a damper on my spirit. But ya know what? I had to make that decision within my own self to not give in to what they were saying. I had to be the strong one and say, "Look, this is my writing. This is my book. This is my therapy, and I'm going to do it well."

8 does your main character share any similarities to yourself?

Yes, absolutely! lol Ava was the main character of the story, and just like me, she struggled with depression and her relationship with god and the church. But despite her issues and the abuse that she went through, she was a loving mother and devoted wife and that is what I will strive to be when I'm older and have kids of my own.

 9 what is something about your story you believe would draw in new readers? 

Uh... that's a very good question. lol I think the things that would draw in new readers is the little scandal at the end of the book and Ava's sarcasm. lol

10 do you have any future projects?

 Yes, I do! "Letter's To Izzy" is actually a prequal to "My Fate is At War With My Soul". I am working on the new installment now, and it mainly focusses on Ava's past relationship with her abusive boyfriend and how she fought to get away from him as quickly as she did. It even focuses on her abortion, and I'm excited to see where this story will take us. It is currently published and you can read it now!

 It is currently published and you can read it now!