A showcase with @KariRakitan, author of Kaiba's Prostitute

1 what inspired the idea of your story?

My entire life has inspired my story. The part about the Kaiba brothers from Yu-Gi-Oh! is pure fantasy, but the rest is rooted in reality.

People may find it difficult to believe, but I have a husband, two lovers, and a dead boyfriend right now. My boyfriend has been dead for over four years, but I keep our relationship alive by playing the video game he introduced me to. My dead boyfriend also has a widow and . . .

 2 what is something you struggled constructing with your story?

I struggled with a lot of things, and I'm still struggling, but I'm going to say the sex scenes. Have I put in too much detail or not enough? Am I going to scare readers away by being too vivid, or is that why they are reading my book in the first place?

 3 what did you enjoy writing most of your story?

I get to lead another life with the Kaiba brothers. The story starts from a day in my life when I could have actually met the Kaiba brothers if they were real people. I've had a crush on them for over half my life, and I've constructed many fantasies involving them over the years. I've also enjoyed countless stories from other Seto Kaiba fans over the years. However, as I grew more confident in myself and my sexuality, I had trouble enjoying stories about monogamy. Now, I am writing the story I always wanted to read, and I hope people who feel the way I do will find enjoyment in it too.

 4 what's the overall response of your story from your readers?

That depends on if they have actually read it or not. I publish Kaiba's Prostitute on multiple platforms, and the most common response from non-readers is "WTF" or something along those lines. Due to the stigma associated with prostitution, many people won't even give it a chance. 

Going back to the sex scene dilemma, most readers have told me that they want more. I'm talking about the people who have read to Chapter 30 or later. I plan to incorporate more sex scenes as they are relevant to the plot. However, as per Wattpad's content guidelines, the sex never "exists solely for the purpose of sexual stimulation." It is always tied into the plot or character development in some way.

 5 is your story a stand alone novel or a piece of a series ?

It's a standalone novel for now. It's going to be a long one, though. Perhaps it would be wise to break it into multiple books, but since printing constraints and costs are not an issue on the internet, it's just going to keep going and going, even if it takes a hundred chapters or more.

 6 what would you like your readers to take away from your story?

Sex work (prostitution) is real work.

 Polyamory is real and works.Neither polyamory nor prostitution are for everyone. Playing basketball or football is not for everyone. Some people enjoy playing basketball without playing football and vice-versa. Some people enjoy both. Some people enjoy neither. Are you going to stop talking to your friends just because they like basketball/football and you don't?

 7 what advice would you provide to fellow writers, when it comes to focusing on their own story?

Keep in touch with your imaginary friends as well as your physical ones. They all have things to teach you. Most of all, keep in touch with yourself. Write from your heart. You may feel alone at times, but there is always someone out there who feels what you feel and is too afraid to express it.

 8 does your main character share any similarities to yourself?

Yes. Only minor details have been changed to protect my identity. I tell people I trust about the story, but I keep it separate from my legal identity for my own safety. The traumatic internship experience in Joan's backstory is especially impactful to why I created my pen name in the first place. My coworkers actually urinated in my coffee mug. I overheard them use the word "poison" while talking about me behind my back. This is why I don't do face reveals.

 9 what is something about your story you believe would draw in new readers?

Everything I can think of to say might draw in some but scare away others. I'm going to say something silly and cute here instead. My husband reads the chapters before I post them and complains that I haven't put enough dicks in Joan's mouth.

 10 do you have any future projects?

My husband wants babies, so that's our future project. I may not have time to write as much when that happens, so I'm focusing on finishing Kaiba's Prostitute and making it as amazing as possible before I get stuck breastfeeding, potty training, etc.

 I may not have time to write as much when that happens, so I'm focusing on finishing Kaiba's Prostitute and making it as amazing as possible before I get stuck breastfeeding, potty training, etc