1x08

Maybe I Should Start From The End

       There's something we think you should know

       There's something we think you should know. We just don't know how to say it. So to help with that, maybe we should start from the end.

     I winced as a light warmed my face. I blinked, slowly, prying my eyes open to find the bright blue sky overhead. A groan slipped through my lips. Every muscle in my body ached. We were quick to jump start the healing process, but we were sluggish and mirrored my mind. I pushed myself up, noticing the dew covered grass beneath my palms.

     With one fluid motion, I stood to my feet and stared at a crater no more than a yard from the tips of my shoes. I looked to the side to find Hope. Little scratches dotted her cheeks and forehead, healing before my eyes. Her red hair stuck up in various places, while her clothes were disheveled.

     I glanced down at myself and found that my clothes appeared the same. Mud stained my Stallions hoodie and the knees of my pants.

     The sound of rustling alerted me to more people around my sister and I. I turned away from the crater to where Alaric and Landon staggered to their feet, more or less in the same shape as the siblings.

     Landon winced, grabbing at his stomach. "Where the hell are we?" he questioned at the strange space around them and then at himself. "What happened?"

     "I don't know," Alaric said, shifting his eyes to the crater. "But I don't think we're in Kansas anymore."

     My lips parted when their words registered in my mind. I looked back to Hope and found a shocked expression, one that mirrored my own.

     What the hell was going on?

     _______

     THREE DAYS AGO

   Never mind. I think it's best if we start from the beginning.

     Hope thought it would be best if she and I kept the information about Landon's troubles to themselves. Just until we could sneak off to help the boy without any confrontation. Mostly, we did not want Alaric to ruin our rescue plan.

     I fled to my room when Alaric called for the students to return back to campus after Remembrance Day. Ironically, a day I would not soon forget. I began the process of packing a bag, shoving as many items into my duffle as it could possibly carry. Clothes, my personal book of spells, and a few daggers. All I needed to save the life of a teenage human.

     Throughout the next day, I somehow convinced Rafael to stay behind. It took a bit more bribery than I liked, but who could pass up a free summer vacation to Scotland? Certainly not a former foster kid.