1x07

Death Keeps Knocking At My Door

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

4200 words

     Over the course of my life, I encountered more than my fair share of death. I witnessed vampires and witches alike die at the hands of their own people and beings more powerful than they could have ever dreamed. My own family met the doors of the afterlife in one form or another. Some on more permanent terms.

     I walked alongside Rafael and Hope as we made our way to the common room. Ever since the twins' birthday, the three hung out often together. I loved that my sister finally decided to break out of her shell and make a few friends, even if they were some of mine. We were hoping to grab a spot next to the fireplace, one of the most popular spaces in the main building of the school. It sure beat a secret trip out to the werewolf transitional cells where Alaric locked up the Necromancer.

     I came to a stop with my eyes landing on a stranger as we strolled into the front entrance ahead of me. The girl shook, sluggish in her movements. Her curly dark hair fanned around her in tangles, while dirt and grim covered her face. "Wait." I called out and brought my sister and friend to a halt.

     Rafael followed my gaze. "Cassie?" he questioned in complete disbelief.

     The girl turned to him and breathed, "Raf?"

     Hope's eyes widened. "Cassie? Isn't that your..."

     "My girlfriend," Rafael finished, dropping his backpack to the ground, and then rushed forward to wrap the girl in strong embrace.

     I froze at the sight. What the hell was going on?

     _______

     Hope and I set out to find Alaric once the shock of Rafael and Cassie's reunion faded a bit. I knew something had gone wrong. I figured the Necromancer resurrected the girl to keep them busy, hoping that it would take the attention off of him and his quest for the mystical knife.

     "Dr. Saltzman," Hope voiced as they moved into the only cell that held voices.

     My eyes narrowed at the scene before them. The Necromancer sat in the center of the barred space chained to a chair. His face was marred, merged together from what looked to be burn scars of some kind. A red line followed the edges of his features, looking as if someone had peeled the creature's skin off and then tried to put it back.

     Alaric stood directly in front of the Necromancer with a blowtorch held in his hand. He extinguished the blue flame upon their arrival.