2x02

This Year Will Be Different

Hope and I trek through the woods, I move some branches away

Hope and I trek through the woods, I move some branches away. I stop as I see a purple substance on a stump on the ground, I lean down and sniffle it which smells disgusting. I stand back up, Hope and I following the smell out of the woods until we find our way to Mystic Falls High School.

I sigh. "You've got to be kidding me." I look at Hope and she just shrugs her shoulders before walking towards the school, I purse my lips and start to follow her into the school.
Hope stops making me stop, I walk around her to see the same purple goo on the floor, we follow it until we reach the janitorial door.
"Dissera portus." The door swings open, Hope and I almost make our way inside of it.

"Aren't you a little short for a janitor?" A guy speaks up, scaring Hope, his eyes fall on me and his face turns to one of understanding and he nods his head. "I see. It's nice to know I'm not the only one trying to hide out on the first day of school. Or other things."

I scrunch up my face in disgust. "Not even close. She's my sister." I shake in disgust, he nods his head.

"Oh, no, we weren't hiding. We were, um, uh. We were looking for the principals office." I smile down at Hope and she elbows me in the side.

"Well, you're in luck. I'm new, too, but I'm pretty sure that's him behind you." My eyes linger on the guy as he walks away.

"Hi. I'm Principle Saltzman. Who are you two?" I stare up at him in shock and I can tell Hope feels the same way by the look on her face too.

"This just got weird." I quietly say to myself.

_____

I sit next to Hope and Alaric stand in front of us with a clipboard in hand. "You are blank slates, Miss Hope and Mr Chase Marshall." I clear my throat and look at Hope and she gives me a serious look before our attention is focused back on Ric. "Parents Tom and Kathleen. No transcripts from your last school."

I sit up straight. "I think they must've just gotten packed away or something. Like I said, we move around a lot. "

"Mm-hmm. Well, if you two are gonna be here in Mystic Falls, you have to go to school."

"Well, then I guess it's a good thing we're here, right?" I smile at Hope before the school bell rings. "Can we go now?" Hope gets up and she gestures for me by grabbing my arm, I quickly follow her.

"You know, I, uh," he clears his throat.  "I've got two daughters, and I know when they're not telling me something. So, you know, if there's, uh, anything going wrong at home, you know if you're in any trouble and you need to talk,
Just know I'm here to help, okay?"

"I'm fine." Her voice cracks a bit making my heart drop, she lest go and walks out of the door, I quickly follow her

"Hope.' I try to grab her but she just ignores me. "Please." My voice gets quieter as I hear her let out a small sniffle. She goes into the restroom and I stop, I walk a bit away from it, I lean my head on the wall and take a deep breath.
My mind wanders to Josie and Landon which makes me shake my head to try to get it out of my head. "Damnit." I rub my face, letting our a shaky sigh. "Get it together. For Hope." The door opens and I immediately push myself off the wall, Hope looks at me.