1x06

Mombie Dearest

(4300 words)

     FRIDAY THE day of the Saltzman twins' Sweet Sixteen. The school had been shoved into controlled disorder with the preparation for the party later that night. Students of all ages moved throughout the Grand Hall, setting up decorations and shoving the tables and chairs aside for more room.

    I intended to make sure Josie got her chance to be happy. Although Lizzie meant nothing by it, she had a tendency to steal the spotlight and keep it away from her sister. Their birthday would be no different, if not worse.
     "You know, I think the two of you would be cute together," Hope voiced as we made our way into the Grand Hall.

"Honestly, you both are similar in personality. Caring, selfless, hyper focused on your interests..."

     "How about you and emo boy?" I interrupted her. "Super loners, temperamental, totally one sighted when it come to your interests..."

     "Okay, okay. I get it," Hope exclaimed and gave me a flat stare. "I'm just trying to help."

     I exhaled. "I know, and thank you. Really."

     We ceased our conversation at the sight of the room around them. Wolves were scattered all over the place, carrying the everyday furniture away for what would most likely become a makeshift dancefloor. I looked to the bottom of the large staircase to find Rafael. The recently appointed Alpha pointed in various directions as he ordered his new pack members around.

     "Let's go. Let's go," Rafael clapped his hands together to get his wolves into action.

     They immediately moved, grabbing the remaining tables and chairs to haul them out.

     I pressed my lips into a fine line and voiced, "must be great having your own pack now, huh?"

     Rafael turned to face me with a placid expression, which only dropped further when he noticed Hope. He kept moving through the room without acknowledging us.

     "Perks of being an Alpha. A bunch of people you get to boss around," Hope added.

     Rafael grabbed the end of a table and began to carry it. "More like a bunch of shadows waiting to be told what to do."

     I eyed the Waithe boy. "Why are you on party duty?"

     "I volunteered," Rafael answered, glancing over his shoulder as he moved the piece of furniture to the other side of the room. "What do you want? I'm busy."