Cleaning Up

Havillah turned to find Mima and Sophir grinning back at her.

"Sophir! " she exclaimed at the little girl who had rushed into arms, her lips bubbling up with laughter. "Look at you," she took her up into her arms and began admiring the hair that had been braided up to resemble Havillah's single braid.

"Mima made it to look like yours, "  she said pointing to her own golden hair band. "She says that it will now grow to be as long and glossy as yours. "she chattered.

"It already is." Havillah answered, taking in the golden hue that was close enough to Cjaira's unruly locks. It was not as long but with time it would probably gain some length and volume, but it was now longer. She noticed as she took the shiny braid into her free hand.

"What are you doing here? " Mima asked as she joined the pair beside the chancel. "We saw you as you walked up this way and decided to join you."

" I was looking at this." She said as she turned back to what she was now sure was the Chancel.

"That old shrine? It makes sense that you as one of the priesthood would be the one to find it."

"Mmm..." Havillah nodded. "I am trying to get it cleaned up but I seem to be lacking the proper tools for it."

"To what purpose? It's been centuries since it was last used."

"I know, but I still need to look at it." she did not mention the giant scale or her Guide's plan to cure all of the Sleepers. For now, she needed to make sure that the scale was there, but how was she to activate it? She was not aware that she had done such a thing to begin with. After all,  the last time she had seen that giant scale it had appeared inactive.

"Fine, wait here.  I will go and find Jharey. Where we are lacking in strength, he sure has the physique for it and the tools too." she waved her off as she walked down the hill to find the town headman. After roughly ten minutes the two walked up the hill to find Havillah sitted down with Sophir as the latter braided her hair.

"Havillah," he smiled. "Where is it? "

"There." she pointed, turning her head.

"Don't move! You will ruin it."

"Sorry. " she smiled sheepishly.

"Now I have to begin again! "

Jharey watched with amusement as his sister scolded the woman for moving her head.

"I will get to it then." he said with a smile and moved on to clear the troublesome branches and vines. Twenty minutes later, the vines were all cleared and Jharey strapped back the broadsword into its scabbard. "what now? "

"I will get a pail of water and get to cleaning." Mima replied. "It seems that Sophir will not let go of her any time soon. She treats her like one of her dolls."

Jharey laughed. She surely did. Even though the woman was much prettier than the said dolls. He liked her personality as well and soon enough, he found himself wondering if she would be fine with idea of settling down with them. Together, they could restore the town of Denevieuh and together they could rebuild the mayor's apartments just like they were doing now. Yes, he could imagine it. A happy Sophir braiding his beautiful bride. She would love it and maybe, in a few years, they could add more to the family in the way of some pretty girls and even a few naughty boys for Sophir to play with.

"Jharey! Jharey! You are staring. One would think that you have never seen a woman before. "

"Shut it Mima." He growled back but the smile never left his eyes. "Do you think she would have me?" he finally turned to ask her as he helped her with the cleaning.

"She is something. That woman. To make you do all this without a fuss."

"She makes me want to protect her." he agreed.

"Beautiful women are like that Jharey, but she is also kind. The way our little Sophir has taken to her... I wouldn't mind, but sometimes she gets this far look in her eyes like her thoughts are somewhere else. I get the feeling that she has a weight on her shoulders just like you do Jharey."

"You feel we are attracted because we are kindred spirits?"

"Not precisely since she gives off a more innocent aura. Like the matters of the heart are the farthest thing on her mind. Now, I do not mean that she is an airhead as such, but it is all too possible that romance is a topic that is quite foreign with her."

A crease formed on Jharey's forehead.

"Let me not stop you." Mima laughed. "This old coot might also be wrong. After all, I have no experience when it comes to romance."

"Duly noted." he replied as he walked over to the woman who had now swapped places with Sophir and was braiding her hair as she held her in her lap.

***