The Trouble with Trust

BETHESDA,
Central District,
2420AA,

A crystal glowed and another and another. Bright pulsing orbs dangled over Havillah's head, lighting up her path with every step that she took forward. Curiosity conquered her agitation and soon enough her eyes started wandering, surveying, and drinking in the sites that lay before her eyes.

The hallway was long, painted white, and decorated with gold crisscross patterns. It was rather remarkable, beautiful even by that world's standards, but not as great as home. Nothing in this world could ever compare to home. It was a paradise of its kind and Havillah could now see that.

"Funny how one needs the bad things in order to appreciate the good." The girl thought as her fingers grazed the gilded frames of a huge portrait. It was one of many that lined up the entire hallway, hung up on both walls, and bearing faces that bore a close resemblance to that one person that she knew very well."Mother," an anguished sob racked her body even as she took in the familiar grey eyes and grey hair that she had just discovered was a common trait in almost all of her maternal ancestors, or at least those that were appearing in the portraits before her.

"She doesn't know, but she will find out soon enough."

"Why do you enjoy tormenting me so?" Havillah turned to glare at the owner of the voice but remembered too late that this particular voice did not own a face and if it had one, it had not thought her worthy enough to reveal its likeness to her. She let out an exasperated sigh.

"You have a lot to learn, but worry not. It will all make sense someday." The voice told her and Havillah's frustration grew tenfold.

"Oh, let me guess. I am supposed to trust you?"

"I have no malicious intentions towards you and you will one day come to understand that very well."

In response, Havillah growled as she turned away trying hard to put as much distance between her and the voice. She was being unreasonable. A small part of her told her so. She knew it was true, but entertaining her much angrier thoughts felt better, comforting even and she let them lead her down the hall to what she assumed was some sort of parlor or lounging hall.

"What will you do now?" The voice spoke up again.

"And of course it followed me here." She replied rolling her eyes. The same eyes that were taking in the gold and dark red decorated interior of the plush room. "Isn't that your job? Telling me what to do all the time?"

"That would imply that I am in someone's employ." It replied and she responded with another growl.

"Why are you so angry Havillah?" The voice intoned the concerned note in its voice affecting her so much that her angry facade began to crack.

"I don't know!" A tear dropped from her eyes. "It's been a hectic week and I feel lost. I do not know how to feel. I do not know many things things about this place. I do not understand what has happening to me and I don't know how I will figure it out."

"You are angry that this was allowed to happen to you?" she nodded. "How about you and I make a deal?"

"What sort of deal?" Havillah questioned, her pained and tear-stained face changing to look bamboozled.

"An exchange. I'll take care of your worries and you do something for me."

"How exactly will you do that and what could you possibly want from me?" Her temper rose and threatened to explode again.

"Your trust." The voice replied.

"My trust? I am supposed to trust you and you will take away all my worries? Why is that so important to you? If I may say so, as your offer stands, it sounds too good to be true."

"On the contrary, it isn't that easy."

"Okay...I am not sure I understand what you mean, but sure, if it will take away my worries then I have no qualms about it."Havillah turned and dropped her tired body into the chaise lounge beside an empty fireplace. Trust... She thought hard about it. The voice was right, it was going to be a very hard thing to do. Her drifted shut and before long she succumbed to her tiredness and fell into a dreamless slumber.

¤¤¤¤

In the little waiting room of the Hub's clinic, a deranged Calla Barrageway continued to wear out the linoleum floors beneath the soles of her leather boots. She was annoyed, irritated, and quite despondent too. In the hours that she had been waiting, there had not been any word on her mother's condition, and this fact alone, the fact that she was yet to hear from the doctors was the only thing keeping her from going after the person who had put her mother in that hospital.

Finally, the sound of footsteps approaching caught her ears, and the female Sergeant stopped pacing and waited anxiously for what she hoped was a doctor bearing good news.

"How is she?" She asked him the moment his white lab coat came to view. The elderly doctor in black-framed glasses looked at her wearily and breathed out a tired sigh.

"Still unresponsive I'm afraid." He told her.

"What's the problem? What is wrong with her? Is she now in a coma?" An agitated Calla reiterated.

"Calm down Calla." The man took out his huge glasses and rubbed his puffy eyes tiredly. "From what we can tell everything looks okay. Everything seems fine, but something is holding her back from waking up. Have you considered talking to the person who did this to her?"

"The coward escaped!" The woman replied even as she curled her fingers to form clenched fists. "Good thing too, because when I lay my hands on her, I'll rip the little rat from limb to limb!" Calla replied her eyes now blazing with anger.

"Aaaahm...Calla? I'd really advice against that." The doctor said slipping his glasses back on. "Not just because I am a doctor and it's my work to save lives, but because this person may be the only chance at your mother ever waking up.We've tried everything. So please, try and consider that as an option?"

"Fine! I'll find her and drag her back here if I have to do it." An annoyed Calla hissed and stomped out of the room in a fit befitting her parlous disposition.