The Gates

THE DOVE PALACE,
The Eastern Wind, Triberias.
2420 A.A,

In one of the golden and crystal palaces of Triberias, in a palace that was nearer to the Sanctuary than most, a couple argued. It was a common occurrence due to their differing opinions on the various matters, most of them being of grave importance. One had such views and thoughts that were so radical that it sent shock waves through out the city, while the other, in fear and trepidation and with hopes of conformity chose to remain rather mainstream.

It was safe. Safer than the quite inherent views of the other who of the two was the least dispensable in a society where conformity and being normal was better than being outstanding.

Being outstanding, of course, had its own prequisites, but it also mattered where you were coming from, your family background and social status not that it had worked for his daughter, but Tamaar was an elder of the Great and that meant more pressure for Jaykob. Therefore, because of this, he found himself constantly doing what he had to, to survive and to keep his remaining children safe and secure within the bounds of the city, Triberias.

They could not afford to be banished. With Havillah gone, it felt like the pressure had been mounted. An elder and an exile. How odd his life had been, tittering in the middle of both extremes. His life dictated by the choices of the women that were or were not in his life and now, this woman, this wife of his, was threatening to ruin him completely?

"Jaykob. You have to understand. I am a mother and therefore, I have to worry about my children's welfare and that means, all of them!" His wife told him. This arguement had dragged on for days and no matter what he tried, the woman could not see reason.

"But the city is in shutdown and our sons..."

"Our sons will be okay here with you, whereas Havillah has no one."

"Tamaar..."

"No Jaykob!" the woman turned to stare at her husband with her made up eyes. Her purple robes billowing , a stack contrast to his navy blue ones that had not changed once ever since he came of age.

Tamaar's grey orbs blinked as she turned around to gaze at the golden city from the large window in their living room. "My mind is made up. Please, do not try to convince me otherwise. I expected that you of all people would understand. You of all people should understand. She's your daughter for heavens sake and his betrothed as well." she added in a soft whisper, one that was missed by her husband.

"A daughter that did not acknowledge me, or any of my instructions. Look at what that has gotten her now! " He said, his brown eyes flashing against a forehead that was hidden behind a curtain of black shoulder length hair, the same shade as Havillah's.

Tamaar sighed. This battle had been going on for years. Ever since their girl turned eleven and they discovered that her First Virtue was not as strong.

"You of all people should know better. You cannot just will yourself to be strong in a one Virtue and weak in another... It's not like she can control it and even so, she was not being disobedient to you... No. Havillah tried and I guess, where she failed with her First Virtue, she compensated for it with her Second."

"But you can't just leave Triberias. This city needs you!" the man protested again, his first reasons having been beaten by her clear logic. Clearly, he did not want her to leave and was trying every means possible to keep her from doing so. It bothered Tamaar that the man that she had called her husband for all these years could be so cold towards the plight of their only daughter, but then again, he was just behaving like so many others that lived in city. For Triberians, emotions had never been a strong suit and relations, even those that should really have mattered were kept only if they were found to beneficial not just to one's status but also in terms of how one was perceived in the eyes of the society. That was their marriage same as all the others in that beautiful paradise and it seemed, with how the Chamberlain was proceeding, that would be her daughter's as well.