Budding Doubts

DENEVIEUH,
The Forest of Erydria,
2420 A.A,

Killion frowned at the expression on the woman's face as she rose to float in the sky where she congregated with the two other Great.

What was he even supposed to make of that comment? His frown grew deeper as he watched them convene to discuss their findings without involving him or his group and for that reason, he felt annoyed.

There was a pool of blood in the middle of the square and several groups of bodies or people scattered all over the place and all he had to go with was her uncertainty? Maybe he was tired or hungry, but her attitude and her lack of trust for him and his group aggravated him. Hadn't they left Bethesda and given up their resources in order to help them? Sure, he would still have looked for Havillah himself had they not shown up, but his team did not have to and yet, they had given their blood and sweat to this mission. Why was she closing him off now that they were this close to finding her?

He looked away from the sky and turned back to his group who even then were perusing the area. Taking care to do so stealthily in order to avoid rousing the attention of the people of the town.

Having nothing else to do, Killion looked around the square and studied the place. He had never been out this far Southwest, but he was glad to observe that the design of the town was much like the ones that existed on the Eastern shore of Erydria.

In essence, this meant that like every other typical town, all the shops were congregated around the centre while the rows of houses were located much further outwards extending out towards the wall if there was any. At this time though, all the shops were closed, despite there being lights that burnt brightly  from all the windows and every corner in the square.

They should have been visible he knew, to any observing eye that was looking at the square, but the row of shops around the square obstructed the view of most if not all the houses from witnessing what was actually happening there. Despite all this, it still worried him that no one had come out. Taking into account the single burst of light that Havillah had apparently emitted and the commotion that had obviously taken place there at the town square.

How was it that it had done nothing in the way drawing the people's presence or their attention towards the town's square. Not a peep through the windows, he had observed.

What did that then mean? Was there something that the town was scared of more than these things that were now writhing in the square? Killion thought as his eyes went out to the surrounding jungle and back at the the still squirming bodies that remained littered on the square's cobbled floor. "But of course, they must know of the terror and maybe, it is not actually safe to be out here in the open like we are doing now." He finally concluded as he lifted up his comm device to communicate with his group. They were not that far off, but he did not want to risk shouting and drawing the attention of whatever terror that haunted this place.

"Stay close and be on guard." He told them. "We do not know what did this or what kind of terrors stalk this place." Killion sent out the word to let his people know to be alert even as they continued to comb through the place and study the aparations that may have once been humans, but were now simply ghouls that bore no shred of the soul that made up a person.

"What kind of terror would have done this anyway?" The voice of Gabriel cracked in his earpiece as he cleverly manouvered the masses to reach his Captain's side. "They are like shrivelled husks that have somehow maintained their faculties of speech. That one of there has been saying 'no' over and over again and there is even one that is actually shedding tears. That aside, they appear to be quite violent if you touch them or get very close."