New Glories

THE ELYDRIAN FOREST,
West of Bethesda,
2420 A.A,

An eye cracked open and another even as Havillah lifted up her head from the hard lumpy pillow that was her knapsack to look out into a cloudy horizon. She stretched out her neck and a vertebrae cracked from the stiffness of lying down on a hard flat ground for an extended period of time.

She yawned as she rubbed off the last remnants of her sleep and the dry gunks from her sticky eyes as well. Something was different. She noted as she continued to gaze out into the eastern horizon where the sun had just began peeking out from above the tall forest canopy.

It was still early. Very early infact and the forest was just waking. The twitterimg of birds filled the air. Song birds serenading the new day and despite her worrying, Havillah realised that she had not overslept as she had once feared.

The girl reached out a hand and anchored herself to the base of the tree. She slowly rose up on two wobbly feet that ached even as she struggled to find and maintain her balance. Unbidden, her hands rose up to her sides even as another yawn racked her body and escaped through her lips rather noisily.

Where was the weariness coming from? Havillah wondered. She flexed the muscles of her aching arms and as she did so, she remarked at how sore they also felt.

For someone who had spent a night on a branch of a tree before, tied down to its hard bark, the level of exhaustion she had felt then was nowhere close to what she was feeling right now. Her legs were aching. Her arms as well and the palms of her hands were stinging like tiny razors or claws had sunk their teeth into them Slicing through her skin and into the very depths of her soft and delicate flesh.

Her body was torn and worn out. The feeling being much like she would feel had she been flying around a whole day and a whole night without a single rest stop. Yet that was something that she had never done, but she imagined that it would feel so if that had been the case.

It was funny really, because she hardly needed her body muscles to levitate. She had never needed them for flying. All that was required was just her mind and thus, it made this weariness she was feeling, a thing to wonder about.

"It must have been all that flying I have been doing lately." She mused even though she knew very well that that was not true. "Or the trekking?" She thought even as she brought up the palms of her hands to her eyes, with every intention of inspecting them for the source of the persistent stinging. 

"Green?" Her eyes were momentarily distracted. Her initial plans for inspection flying out as the sleeves of her gown came to full view.  "Green!?" She all but yelled out as confusion filling up her mind. Her eyes looking frantically for the answers that would not reveal themselves.

Her questions were many and piling, with this new development bringing the latest but not the least of all of her concerns.

Would she get any answers now? It was frustrating how whenever she tried to fish for answers, to seek understanding, her guide would either be unavailable or unwilling to help her. His excuses were also lame, and last she checked, the thing that could not be called man or woman, for it lacked a gender altogether had abandoned her and left her all alone to fend for herself.

What reason would he have to show up now?  In its eyes, was she even worthy of these answers that she felt were now owed to her?

"What brought this on? Where did this train of thought come from?" The voice suddenly spoke up shocking her out of her reverie and the dark path she had once again embarked on. It behaved like it was quite oblivious but Havillah knew better. This thing knew more than it was letting on.