The Chancel

Havillah walked into the town through the western gate. Now that the fog had lifted, the town  looked lovely in the bright morning sunlight that was streaming in through the jungle trees that surrounded the walls. She walked down the path that Sophir had once led her through. The same one that they had travelled last night while she was speaking to her mother.

She was aware that she had been banished and that alone was enough cause for worry, but considering that they were here too, her mother had seemed awfully troubled last night. Why had she come out after and why had the two idiots followed her? She understood Cjaira's impulsive nature but Moriella, Havillah had thought her to be more sensible than this. Cjaira had nothing to lose so to speak but Moriella had a family and the Elder Tamaar, well she had left her husband and twin boys back in the city. What was so important that they had to follow her here knowing that they could not return? Or could they? She stilled as she stopped walking altogether to ponder the words that her mother had previously spoken.

Back then she had been too engrossed with the issue of Sophir to pay attention, but now that she actually thought about it,  she seemed to recall her mother saying something about there not being much time, but time for what? Havillah racked her mind for anything else that she may have missed and finally, she recalled something that Moriella had said. That the Hub had helped in tracking her, but how? It was impossible that they had sensors way out here and unlike before, there was no way of distinguishing the red dots after heat sensing. There was bound to be other people and even larger animals out. Therefore, it was not practical. So, how had they done it?

Even as she thought hard on this issue, Havillah recalled that there had been an unusual number of techguys in the team with Killion. Usually, a team was assigned a single techguy and usually, these were combat soldiers like Gabriel who hapenned to be multi talented. However, she had seen plenty of the white coats here today. The type that usually remained in the Hub to monitor the terror's activities. She had also seen one of the chiefs of the techguys and she wondered, what was a man like that doing there?

Had Jharey been right in suspecting her? It seemed too convinient that the Bethesdans would show up equipped like that in the name of a search party. She was not a citizen of Bethesda and Killion could have easily turned her mother down. Therefore, did this mean that they had exploited the opportunity to get into the mayor's territory? It seemed so. For why would the man, who had sworn to protect her bring Calla along with him?

Her mind went back to their confrontation. Had he been using her? It made a lot more sense that way. From what she had learnt of the true nature of the humans, is that they were fundamentaly treacherous. The same treachery that had led to the Great Ascension. How foolish she had been to completely disregard the Elder's teachings.

"But there are still good humans." the voice said with what she imagined was a smile.

"And what are you so happy about? " she could not help herself so she snapped back.

"You are amusing when you are angry, both you and that captain."

"Why should it matter to you what he is also feeling?"

"It matters more what YOU are now feeling."

"Oh, I had forgotten that you are particularly concerned about my negative emotions. "

"They are not something that I would want you to give into. If you allow them, they have the power to twist you into something grotesque. Imagine that. Just now you were agreeing with sentiments of your previous mentor. What does that say about your present disposition? "

"But-" she started to protest but he cut in before she could continue.

"It does not matter if you have been wronged or misunderstood. To walk this path you cannot give in to such fickle emotions. Anger and bitterness will never be a part of the solution."