thirty - "the shepherd method" - thirty

Start from the beginning

"That may be true, but I'm here now."

"You're here now? You wanted me out since I moved in."

"That is not true."

"You are incapable of anything that resembles commitment. You lied to me. You said you were healthier, you were healed. There's no fixing you. You're a lemon."

"Derek Shepherd, you are drunk. And you're angry. And I've been there, so I get it. That doesn't give you the right..."

"Go home."

"You don't get to..."

"This is what you want, I'm giving you an out. Go!"

"I'm not going anywhere."

"I said leave! Meredith, leave!"

"I know there's a ring."

"What?"

"The chief told me. I know there's a ring."

"You want the ring? Here's your ring."

"That the best you've got? I'm not bailing. We're in this together."

"Go home, Meredith."

Anna got out of the car with her backpack, seeing how upset and frustrated Meredith was becoming. She quietly whispered for Meredith to sit in the car and then faced her father, "You can sit out here all night, but I'm going to sleep."

"Anna?" Derek sighed, "What are you doing here? Go home with Meredith!"

"So... you want me, your daughter, to go home with Meredith, the woman you just tried to drunkenly break up with? Dad, you're starting to not make sense. I can't leave you here all night. You might pass out, choke on your vomit..."

"Anna-"

"No, seriously. If you're not going back to Meredith's house, then the trailer's home again. Home is where you are, dad." Anna picked up the open beer bottles and dumped them out of the grass, "I'm sure you're capable of feeling sorry for yourself laying down in bed. It's late. And you're gonna feel real crappy in the morning."

Derek tried to protest as he stood up and all the alcohol hit him as he swayed. Anna wrapped her arms around her, helping him in the trailer, and to his bed. He kicked off his shoes and already closed his eyes, mumbling incoherently.

Anna went back outside and saw Meredith sitting in her car. She rolled down the window as Anna walked up, "He's in bed now. Should pass out soon. I'm gonna stay here with him. Keep an eye on him."

"That's good." Meredith whispered.

"Yeah. You should go and try to get some sleep, too. It's late. Don't take anything he said to heart, Meredith. I know him. He's gonna regret it tomorrow when he sobers up. I'll remind him just how he was." Anna threw in a lighthearted joke, "See ya."

"Anna," Meredith said, after starting the car and turning her headlights on, "You need a daughter-of-the-year award. I don't know how you do it. I don't think I was ever as good of a daughter as you are."

"Just one?" Anna touched her hand to her mouth, pretending to think, "I'd go with ten, maybe five. Drive safe, Meredith."

After Anna watched Meredith's car disappear into the dark, she went back inside the trailer. She put a small trash can beside his bed before tossing her backpack on her old bed and flopped down. She looked at the time on her phone. It was officially the next day.

"Happy fifteenth birthday to me." She whispered.

~ GREY'S ANATOMY ~

"Rise and shine." Anna pulled back the curtains, opened the blinds to let in some natural light, and smiled as her dad groaned and rolled over, "It's a beautiful day. The birds are chirping, the sun is shining, and it smells like vomit in here."

"Anna?" Derek laid down, his arm over his face, "Shut up."

"Unfortunately, I can't. I have arranged for some of your friends to show up and convince you to go back to work. So... I'll get started on cleaning up the pile of beer bottles out front. You might want to take a shower and put on some clean clothes."

~ GREY'S ANATOMY ~

"I've destroyed lives before. Several, in fact. Yours is not one of them. I sent the woman you love out here to help you. I sent the woman who loves you out here to bring you back to your life. If you ruin it with her, that's on you. I don't accept it. You're scared, drunk, don't know which way is up. You threw a punch at your best friend, a ring at Meredith, wanna throw me out. I'm not accepting it! Because I'm older than you, and I've been where you are. You been drunk for a few days. I was drunk for years. And I know you're gonna need at least one friend when you come out of that hole you're digging. I hope you come out of it soon. I'll be here when you do."

"I don't think I can get her back."

"Did you call her?"

"What am I gonna say?"

"I had an affair for years. When Adele found out, somehow she... She took me back. You can make your way back... from anything. This is year one of your residency. You turn on each other now, you're not gonna make it."

Anna exited the trailer after Dr. Webber left. She sat down on the porch with her dad. Dr. Torres and Dr. Hunt both also made attempts at changing his mind.

"So, uh, I just talked to Meredith." Anna told him, tears in her eyes, "Told her to come over and show you something."

Derek looked at his daughter, feeling concerned, as she continued, "It's Izzie, dad. It's bad."