Chapter 6: Going to the Match

We all took the elevator and still had quite a bit of time before the match so we decided to walk around the city. It really was beautiful. I could not stop myself from falling in love with the city, it was so different. Everyone in the city was smiling, the sun was shining and heavenly scents floated out from cafes. Everywhere we looked there were Barcelona shirts. We didn’t feel out of place, in fact we felt like we always belonged here. Finally our cravings gave in.

“That smell of waffles! We have to buy some!” I said as I ran to a vendor to purchase what  smelt like heaven.

“Get me one too!” Elena screamed.

“Hey for Nate and I too!” Matt screamed.

“Okay!” I said.

I went up to the lady serving waffles and attempted to try my extremely limited Spanish.

“Ola,” I said.

“Ola,” she said with a bright smile.

“Me gustaria quatro waffles por favour, “ (I’d like 4 walffles please) I asked praying I sounded decent enough. She smiled and turned around to get 4 waffles and gave them to me. I handed two to Elena.

“Gracias” I said.

“De nada!” she said happily. Elena started eating her waffle immediately.

“These are so good!”Elena said.

“Can you eat with some dignity?” Matt asked.

“Oh shut up. I’m eating fine.” Elena said and then Matt started laughing.

“What!?” Elena asked.

“On your nose Elena, you have some icing sugar, “ Nate said.

Elena rubbed her nose.

“You weren’t supposed to tell her!” Matt said.

“Hey new country, new rules remember? By the way Jade how much do we owe you?” Nate asked.

“Nothing!” I said smiling, “I’m too happy to care about my money for now.”

“Really? So can you give me 50 euros? I really want to buy a couple of things,” Matt said.

“Matt I said I’m not too worried about my money, not stupid,”I said.

“You sure?” he said trying to get me riled up like he did with Elena but I knew this game.

“Oh my gosh, that girl is so pretty!” I said. Instantly Matt turned his head and saw an old man walking behind him. Elena and I started laughing.

“Oh how funny, remember guys, I know your fantasies about the players and since we are working in the same building I could always slip up by mistake,” Matt said mischievously.

“Matt you wouldn’t!” Elena said.

“Oh bring it on,” I said.

“Jade! What the hell is your problem?!” Elena said.

“Well if he did ever say that, we could say he is gay, and Nate could agree that he hits on him all the time right Nate?” I asked.

“Yeah sure, that would be funny,” Nate said.

“What happened to the bromance?” Matt asked Nate seriously.

Just then we heard people on the street screaming and singing the Barcelona anthem. The whole city was excited. It was the first match for La Liga so everyone was getting excited. After beating Manchester United at the Uefa final, which was known as one of the best matches in history, it was no wonder why the people of Barcelona were so excited.