IV.IX

Setting: Loving Hands Group Home, Cartagena, Colombia

Loving Hands was an adoption agency that was U.S. based, but had stationed agencies all over the world. Demi had connected with them through Global Citizens to establish her pilot program in some of their group homes. She also made a few donations to some of their homes, including the one in Colombia. That's where Demi had met Selah. She was four years old. She was shy but once she started talking she wouldn't stop. She had a smile that could light up the whole room. And when Demi went around the room and asked each child if there was something that they wanted, Selah said that all she wanted was to be happy. Most of the kids in the home could speak English and Spanish because the home was run by Americans and Colombians. Demi was taken aback because she didn't think someone so young could have a concept of happiness and sadness, or be able to articulate that either. Demi felt like she connected with her because at that point of time in her life, that's all she wanted as well. To be happy. Selah cling to her the rest of the time that she was there, and Demi didn't want to leave her. She almost didn't, until she was reminded that adoption truly was a process that she wouldn't able to start there. She had to start it in the U.S. So, she did, and now three months later she was back in front of that group home hoping that Selah even wanted to come home with her. Even if she was going to give her a better life, being pried away from what she already knew could be too much for her.

"Calm down," Trey said, lacing their fingers together in an attempt to calm her down. She was literally shaking. She knew that this is what she wanted. She knew she was doing the right thing. She was just so nervous about it.

"Demi! It is so good to see you again!" Amelia, the American owner of the home exclaimed as she opened the door. She was brought in for a hug but Demi kept her fingers laced around Trey's.

"And this is your husband and mother, right?" Amelia verified as Demi nodded. "Well, come on in. I know someone who is going to be very excited to see you!"

The home looked the exact same as it did when she left. It wasn't in terrible condition. In fact, they kept it up very well. The building was older but inside was a little bit more updated. The AC system was in and out, as Demi remembered, but there were fans all over the place to keep the cool air flowing. It was a three story building with narrow halls but huge rooms. The floors creaked underneath Demi's Yeezy sneakers as Amelia led them further into the house.

"Sonya is bringing her downstairs now. We told her we had a surprise for her but you know she's a little quiet so we can't tell if she's been excited or not," Amelia explained, stopping in front of the stairs. Kris was messing around on her phone, probably trying to record the whole thing. Trey's grip on her hand tightened as she moved closer towards him.

"Oh, here they come," Amelia said with a wide grin.

Sonya was a Colombian woman who helped run the center with Amelia. Amelia was on the business side of things while Sonya actually helped to take care of the kids and made sure that they had everything that they needed. Selah had also been really close to Sonya, so it wasn't surprising to see her basically glued to her hip as they came down the stairs together.

Selah didn't see her at first, but as soon as her eyes moved from Amelia and landed on Demi, she released a very uncharacteristic squeal and ran into her arms, Demi dropping to her knees and wrapping her arms around her as Selah hugged her as tight as she could.

"DEMI!" She screamed, causing everyone to laugh as Demi kissed the side of her face and hugged her as tight as she could. She tried not to cry but she just couldn't help it, especially when Selah started to sniffle in her ear.

"What's wrong? Aren't you happy to see me?" Demi asked as she pulled back a little bit, moving the stray hairs away from her forehead and trying to wipe her tears away. "What's wrong, sweetie? Why are you crying?"