IV.I

Setting: Demi's Car, Los Angeles, CA

It never rained in California. Well, never was a strong word to use. It rarely rained in California. The sight of rain was such a rarity that everyone damn near lost their minds when it actually did. But how fitting that it was raining on today of all days, on the day that she finally decided to file for divorce after not officially being in a relationship with Trey for at least a year and a half. They hadn't even talked in six months since that night on her tour bus. But Demi was back from tour. After being on the go she didn't know how to settle down. After sitting restlessly in her apartment for a day because Kris demanded that she get some rest and spend some time alone before immersing herself back into her life, she had decided that she couldn't rest. She was in such a transitional time in her life and she could feel it, she could feel the changes coming. There were big things happening, decisions she had to make, and one of them was if she truly wanted to go through with a divorce or not.

She should. It was the most logical thing to do, especially since they weren't even together anymore. It was ridiculous that they were still married. Trey should've filed for divorce while she was in treatment, especially considering the whole baby thing. But he hadn't. And she hadn't. They had just remained married without actually being together. Kris had fussed about tax season and how she was still filing as married when Demi wasn't even 100 percent sure that she knew what all of that meant. That's what had prompted her to schedule this appointment with one of the best divorce attorneys in the state, the same woman who had secured Kim's divorce from Kris Humphries. She came with high recommendations but Demi couldn't bring herself to get out of the car.

The obvious reason being that she still loved Trey and some very delusional part of her somehow still believed that just maybe they could still work out, that maybe they truly were soul mates and by some stroke of fate they would end up spending the rest of their lives together. She knew that it wasn't realistic but it's what she was holding onto. That after all of her wounds healed and they emotionally matured, they could be together again.

The second, underlying reason that Demi didn't dare to say out loud was because Demi had started the process of adoption. Start was the wrong word. She hadn't even really started it. She had gathered information and considered her options. The adoption sounded easy enough. The money wasn't a problem, traveling back and forth to Colombia until it was finalized wasn't a problem. The problem came with her relationship. As a single parent trying to adopt, her chances weren't that great. But married...already with a kid...that increased her chances by a lot. If she got a divorce, it would take much longer for this adoption process to be complete. She had already had trouble returning to the states without Selah, the four year old who had absolutely stolen her heart. She was in foster care after her mother died and her father abandoned her. When Demi was asking the kids in her program if there was anything that she could give them or do for them, Selah didn't ask for a single thing like the other kids did. All she said was that she wanted to be happy, and Demi's heart broke because she wanted the same thing, but somehow just couldn't get there.