Battle Begins

One after another, Resistance starfighters appeared out of hyperspace in view of the massive destroyer. It was lurking exactly where they thought it would, just outside the atmosphere of the planet Ilum. Beebee-Ate confirmed what he already knew—it was the Finalizer.

Poe Dameron was quiet as he scanned the daunting ship to create a tactical plan. He was never one for strategy, but he knew that wouldn't work for this battle. The First Order had taken the bait and fallen right into their trap, but they had arrived much earlier than expected. They should only have received word from the surface a few hours before the Resistance showed, giving the Alliance time to arrange the perfect ambush. How had the Finalizer already arrived? It would add complications, the most critical one being the protection of his friends on the ground. If Kylo Ren had already taken his shuttle to the surface, the others would be at his mercy until the Hutts arrived.

"Go straight at 'em?" Lieutenant Connix joked.

"No," Poe decided. "We wait here, and hope they send their TIE fighters. We take out as many as we can in a dogfight out of range of their defense cannons."

"What about the Finalizer?" another pilot asked over the comms.

"They have over 1500 turbolasers and Ion cannons. We need the cover fire of cruisers and freighters before we attempt to systematically eliminate their defense systems."

"Copy that, Black Leader."

"Where are the other Alliance ships? Where are the Hutts?" Connix asked.

"They'll be here," he assured them.

Just as he had hoped, a black wave of TIE fighters rolled out of the port hanger, heading directly to their position.

"And here comes the parade."

Poe smiled.