Archives

Force Destiny.

Kylo stood in the archives, alone, staring at the holobooks as if they would give him the answer. Poe Dameron could wait, he convinced himself. Hux had begun to suspect his loyalty; his words were borderline mutinous. It was only a matter of time before he staged a coup and took command of the First Order. It was an inevitability. Kylo knew his days were numbered. Force Destiny had to be destroyed before then.

I will bow at Dameron's feet before I allow them to complete Force Destiny.

That revolting thought earned a few holobooks thrown across the Archive floor. It was not lost on him that the last time he had been in that room, he had tried to end the bond. He had been unsuccessful, but he wished he hadn't been. He wished he had never heard her say those treacherous words to him. He wished he had never met her.

Kylo would have pulled his lightsaber and destroyed something, but it would only serve as another reminder. Her hand had touched that hilt. She had touched more in his life than he cared to admit. Her light had threaded like roots into his very being. Her constant presence in his mind was distracting, but he swallowed down the pain like he did everything else.

That was how he found himself staring absently at the Sith teachings section, his emotions rolling just under the surface. If the Force Destiny was a dark side invention, then he would search for a dark side solution. The problem was, what would be strong enough to destroy something that had the power to give and take life? Certainly, there were bombs and lightsabers, but he couldn't destroy the system controls in both Weapons Development and the Command Bridge before he was stopped. Destroying the ship would be easy, but it didn't ensure the machine would be completely destroyed. There was also the problem of the other machine out there.

Kylo wanted to delay until the Knights joined him on the Finalizer. They could help him hold the bridge until he destroyed the machine. Jacen knew where the other Force Destiny was hidden. He had sent for them; if they made it back to him in time, he had a chance. Though the Knights were due any day, Kylo couldn't stand idly by. The last time he had done that, he had watched the Order destroy Hosnian Prime. If he learned how the machine worked, he could destroy the machine itself. If he learned how it worked, he still had a chance if Sidious returned.

What is strong enough to destroy a machine that controls life?

The holobooks in the Archives covered general topics of dark side philosophy and history. What he needed couldn't be found there. For an answer to his question, he would need access to teachings from the man who knew the secrets to life and death; Darth Plagueis. He needed the Science to Creating Life.

Unfortunately, the woman who had access to that text was someone he was not strong enough to face. She likely wouldn't give him access to a text of dark teachings with her sole intent of turning him for his mother's sake. Without that text, his only other option was talking to the man himself. The only problem was, he was long dead, and Kylo had no object imbued with the Sith Master's lifeforce – not that he was foolish enough to bring back Plagueis to defeat Sidious, as tempting as that was. No, there was no way to summon a dark lord for answers. Only...Kylo realized with a shiver of awareness...there was.

A holocron.

If anyone knew where to find one, he knew the man who did. Would he help him? After what Kylo had done, it wasn't likely, but he remembered what the man had told him the last time he'd seen him. I'd do anything for you, kid, so don't let this be the last time I see you. Of course, the answer to his troubles would lie with that man; one of the people he swore he couldn't face again. It was better than the alternative. Even if he refused to speak to him, it was worth a shot.