Witness

I'm trying to forget everything that just happened by throwing myself into work, but I can't seem to get the sight of Isaac's sad face being driven away by a police car. Right now it's chemistry and I'm trying really hard to focus on whatever Mr. Harris was writing on the board but I couldn't because the two idiots (Scott and Stiles) on either side of me won't shut up. 

"Rowan!" Stiles said trying to get my attention.

"What do you want?" I groan completely giving up on the notes at this point.

"I dropped you off at Isaac's house last night. Did you see anything?" My breath caught in my throat as the events that occurred last night came rushing back.

"Mr. Lahey wasn't there when I got there." I lied through my teeth. "I didn't see anything." Remembering what Scott had told me I restrained myself from reaching for my necklace.

"Why would Derek choose Isaac?" Scott asked him.

"Peter told me that if the bite doesn't turn you it could kill you." Stiles said. "Maybe teenagers have a better chance of surviving."

"Does being a teenager mean your dad can't hold him?" I asked hopefully.

"Well, not unless they have solid evidence. Or a witness. Wait." Stiles' eyes widen in realization. Stiles spins around in his chair. "Danny. Where's Jackson?" He asks.

"In the principal's office talking to your dad." Danny responds.

"What? Why?" He asks panicked.

"Maybe because he lives across the street from Isaac." Danny points out. Stiles quickly spins back around towards us.

"Witness." Scott concludes.

"We gotta get to the principal's office." Stiles says.

"How?" I asked them. Stiles quickly rips out a piece of paper from his notebook and crumbled it up into a ball.

"Everyone please turn to page 73." Mr. Harris says before stiles throws the paper ball at the back of his head earning a laugh from the class.
Mr. Harris snaps his head in our direction.

"Who in the hell did that?" He asked looking dead at the three of us. Stiles points at me, I point at Scott, and Scott points at Stiles.

________________________________

The three of us had our ears pressed up against the window of the principles office trying to listen in on the conversation.

"Wait, so are you telling me that you knew Isaac's father was hitting him?" I hear Mr. Stilinski say.

"Hitting him?" Jackson repeats. "He was kicking the crap out of him."

"Did you ever say anything to anyone? A teacher, parents, anyone?"

"Nope. It's not my problem." Hearing this ma my blood boil. I knew Jackson was a prick but I didn't know he was that selfish. But I guess I didn't say anything either. Maybe I'm as bad as he is. Scott squeezes my shoulder reassuringly. As we continued listening.

"No, no, of course not. You know, it's funny that the kids getting beaten up are always the ones who least deserve it." Sherif Stilinski says.

"Yeah." Jackson agrees. "Wait, what?" He says when he realized that he was talking about him.

"I think we're done here." Mr. Stilinski says. We had stopped listening after that. The boys were talking amongst them selves and I began going through my phone. Suddenly I feel Stiles roughly elbow me in the ribs.

"Ouch!" I hissed I look over at him as he grabs a magazine and flips it to a random page before burning his face in it. I also notice his dad walking out of the office.

"Hi Scott, Rowan." Sheriff Stilinski says.

"Hi." I say while Scott gives him a little wave. He looks over at his idiotic son before rolling his eyes and walking away.

"Kids." I hear a rough voice say. Wait I've heard that voice before. We all slowly turn our heads in the direction of the source. Our eyes immediately widen. That's the guy from the cemetery! That's Allison's grandfather! "Come on in."

________________________________

"Rowan Hayes." He read off my file. "There's not much in your file."

"I just moved here two days ago." I point out.

"And already in the principle's office." He raised and eyebrow at me before moving onto the next file. I sunk down in my chair and crossed my arms. "Scott McCall. Academically not the most accomplished, but I see you have become quite the star athlete." He smiles at Scott before moving onto the next. "Mr. Stilinski. Perfect grades but little to no extracurriculars. Maybe you should try lacrosse." Me and Scott snort a laugh. Stiles glares at us before answering.

"Oh, actually I'm already--" he tries but the man cut him off.

"Hold on." He says. "McCall. You're the Scott that was dating my granddaughter." Uh oh.

"We were dating but not anymore. Not dating, not seeing any of each other or doing anything with each other," Scott rambles on. Oh god shoot me now. I stomp on his foot trying to get him to shut up. "At all." He ads shooting me a glare.

"Relax, Scott, you look like you're about to crack a cyanide pill with your teeth." He laughs.

"Just a hard breakup." Yeah, ok.

"Oh, that's too bad. You seem like a pretty nice kid to me." He gives Scott a somewhat sympathetic smile. "Now listen, guys. Yes, I am the principal, but I really don't want you to think of me as the enemy."

"Heh, is that so?" Stiles scoffs.

"Shut up!" I mutter to him.

"However, this being my first day, I do need to support my teachers. So unfortunately someone is going to have to take the fall and stay behind for detention." We all look over at Stiles who was messing with his nails. When he realized we were looking at him his mouth fell open.

"Way to take one for the team Stilinski!" I say patting him on the back.

________________________________

Me and Scott are running through the halls trying to catch Issac in the cop car before it drove off, but we were too late. As soon as we ran through the doors the car drove away. Issac was watching us through the back window. By the look in his eyes I can tell how scared he is. I haven't seen that look since he first told me his dad was hitting him, and just like them I feel helpless. Scott clearly frustrated goes to go back inside before a black car comes to a husky in front of us.

"Get in." Derrick said opening the passenger door of his car.

"Are you serious?" Scott yells. "You did that. That's your fault."

"I know that. Now get in the car and help me." Derek tells him.

"No, I've got a better idea. I'm gonna call a lawyer. Because a lawyer might actually have a chance at getting him out before the moon goes up."

"Not when they do a real search of the house."

"What do you mean?" What could he have possibly found at the house.

"Whatever Jackson said to the cops, what's in the house is worse. A lot worse." Scott still looks unsure about the whole thing.

"Please Scott." I beg him. "He's my best friend."

"Fine." He said helping me get in the back before getting in himself and we speed away.