Chapter 43

"A baby is God's opinion that life should go on"

It was early morning when the pain hit. 3 am, to be exact. Embry had been on patrol and Emilia was at Emily and Sam's home, sleeping soundly. She suddenly sat up, holding her bulging belly.

The wave of excruciating pain hit her, Emilia groaning in pain as she swung her legs around the edge of the bed. She cried out as another wave hit her, her hands grasping the edge of the mattress.

"Emily!" The older woman came running, her eyes wide as she heard Emilia groan again.

"What's wrong, Emilia?" Emilia tried to stand, Emily rushing to help her. That was when she felt the gush of water, both women looking down in shock.

"Your water just broke."

"I still have more than a month left, it's not possible."

Emily forced her to sit, helping her to lay down again. "It's half wolf. Anything is possible. Stay here, I'll call Carlisle."

Emilia nodded, her hand clutching her stomach. "And Embry!"

Emily glanced back, shaking her head. "I'll try."

It felt like hours until Emily returned, a damp towel in her hands. She set it on Emilia's forehead, Emilia sweating as the pain became worse.

"Carlisle is on his way. I couldn't reach any of the wolves though, I think they are having a pack meeting."

"Right now? Of all times they could meet, they chose tonight?!"

Emily frowned as Emilia yelled again. She checked the clock, where was Carlisle? It was as if she had called him again, the man slamming his car door as he knocked anxiously. Emily ran to open it, leading him straight to Emilia. Sue was with him as she had worked as a midwife and could be a better help. Rosalie also accompanied the pair, soothing Emilia and brushing her hair out of her face.

Carlisle began to set up, Sue checking to see how far dilated Emilia was. "It's not that close, we have time."

"I can give you the epidural." Carlisle assured Emilia as she yelled out. Rosalie's cold skin helped to calm Emilia a bit but it was still impossible to deal with the pain.

"From the ultrasounds, he was about 9 pounds, yes?"

Emilia managed to nod as Sue ushered everyone out, Carlisle grabbing a needle. Nobody was allowed in until he was finished administering the epidural, Emilia looking better already.

That was when the phone rang, Emily running to answer.

"Sam?!"

"Hey, Em, what's wrong?" Laughter could be heard behind the man as he spoke to his wife, laughing as well.

"You guys have to get here, soon. Especially Embry."

"What, why?" Sam's voice became serious, all traces of laughter gone.

"Emilia's in labor." The room became silent as the two packs registered Emily's words, Embry jumping up.

"We'll be right there." He hung up, Emily putting the phone away.

"Embry's on his way!" She shouted, Emilia sighing in relief. She needed Embry, how he had not felt her pain before, she didn't know. Although, she had been having Braxton contractions for a while.

"How soon?" Sue asked, checking Emilia over again.

"They just left."

The door was slammed open, Embry running inside and past Emily. He kneeled by Emilia's side, his hand capturing hers.

"Hey baby."

"Embry..."

He shushed her, frowning as he studied her. She was pale, paler than usual. "I'm here, I'm right here."

The rest of the pack walked in, Emilia trying to smile. "You guys chose tonight to have fun? Of all nights?"

"And you chose tonight to give birth. I'd say we are even." Paul teased, Emilia laughing.

"How do you feel, little Cullen?" Jared questioned, squeezing her shoulder.

"Better. I got the epidural already."

"Yeah, you missed her fit." Rosalie muttered.

"Damn, really? We missed all the good stuff?" Jacob sarcastically replied, Rosalie chuckling.

"But we're here now." Quil added, Emilia grinning.

"Yeah, thanks."

Seconds turned to minutes and minutes turned to hours. The pack felt as if the day would never end, Emilia being uncomfortable the whole time. Then, Sue announced that it was time and the doors were closed, only Embry allowed inside with the three doctors and Emilia.

The pack could hear her screams and flinched, feeling bad for Embry as he had to see her in pain, as well as feel it. She pushed for hours on end until a cry was heard. The pack heard Emilia let out a deep breath, a baby's cries heard along it.

"Congratulations, you two." Carlisle said, handing the now clean baby boy to Embry. Embry smiled widely, wiping the tears off his face as he stared at his son. He then looked back to his exhausted fiancée, the reason he was able to experience the moment.

He moved towards her, Emilia also crying as she looked at the baby.

"That's our son." She muttered, touching his face. Embry laughed, setting him down into Emilia's arms. Emilia laughed as the baby stared up at her, Carlisle leaving to give them some time. Sue and Rosalie moved towards Emilia, Sue showing Emma how to feed him.

He latched rather quickly, Embry giving a signal for the pack to be let in later on. "We should name him."

Emilia looked up. "Kai. That's his first name."

Embry touched his son's forehead, nodding as he did so. "Kai. I like it. Kai Gabriel Call."

"It's perfect." Emilia whispered, the two kissing.

"Can we come in now?" Quil shouted through the door, the couple laughing.

"Come in. Come meet Kai."