Chapter 39

"Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster."

Emilia stood on the snow, standing next to Jacob

Emilia stood on the snow, standing next to Jacob. Embry was behind her, she could feel their connection stronger than before. The army of witnesses surrounded the family. Everyone was defensive and on edge. Without Alice, there was no knowing exactly when the Volturi would arrive.

"The red coats are coming, the red coats are coming." Garrett repeated, Marcel turning to him with a snarl.

"Shut up."

Emilia looked up, watching as a sea of darkness came closer to them. It was all of the Volturi, their hoods up as they walked in sync. They stopped before the army, putting down their hoods with stoic faces as Jacob moved closer to Nessie and Emilia.

"Aro, let us discuss things as we used to. In a civilized manner." Carlisle walked forward.

"Fair words, Carlisle. A little out of place considering the battalion you've set against us."

"I can promise you, that was never our intention. No laws have been broken."

"We can see the child, do not treat us as fools." Caius snapped, Emilia rolling her eyes.

"She is not an immortal." Carlisle announced, motioning to Renesmee. "These witnesses can attest to that. You can see for yourself. You can see the flesh and human blood in her cheeks."

"Enough of this!"

Aro put his hand up, stopping Cauis. "I will collect every faucet of the truth. But from someone more central to the story. Edward, as the child clings to your newborn mate, I assume you are involved." Edward and Bella shared a look as Edward walked forward, the snow the only thing being heard.

Bella and Emilia focused, their shields extending towards Edward. Bella gasped as she could not control it, Emilia letting hers go where Bella's couldn't.

Aro took Edward's hand, smiling in delight as he saw everything that had happened. "I'd like to meet her." Edward grimaced but slowly turned, Jake growling as Bella and Renesmee walked forward. Emilia and Emmett followed after the three, the group moving forward. Emilia ignored Embry's growl, stopping before Aro.

"Ah, young Bella. Immortality becomes you. And Emilia. You have discovered your powers, I see." Aro let out a strange giggle as he focused on Renesmee, pointing to her as he smiled. "I hear her strange heart."

Renesmee stared up at her parents before walking closer to Aro, ignoring Jacob's growls. "Hello Aro." She touched his face, Aro staring at her while muttering in Italian.

"Half mortal, half immortal. Conceived and carried by this newborn by this newborn while she was still human."

"Impossible" Caius spat, Aro turning to face him.