Chapter 37

"Nothing ever seems too bad, too hard, or too sad when you've got a Christmas tree in the living room."

It was really strange that while the preparations for the Volturi's arrival were happening, Christmas was coming up

Christmas was a holiday of love and joy. Of compassion and forgiveness, a time to be together. Yet, it was hard to be happy when death was upon you.

As a result of the tense atmosphere surrounding the supernatural inhabitants of Forks and La Push, nobody was prepared for Christmas. Nobody had plans and nobody even thought of it until Charlie called to ask Bella whether she would head home for the annual Christmas lunch.

Charlie had been through a lot. He knew his daughter and her husband weren't normal, much less their 'adoptive' daughter who just so happened to have Bella's eyes. He found out of the existence of wolves and that a kid he had watched grown up was one. But he overcame it and formed a relationship with Sue, the two practically living together. They were happy and wanted their children to join in on their happiness on Christmas day.

Because of the phone call, Emilia and Embry raced home to decorate their house. That was why Emma was putting ornaments on the Christmas tree while Embry passed them to her. The smell of the gingerbread cookies they were baking overcame the house while Christmas music played, the two dancing and laughing as they decorated.

"Pass me the pinecone?" Emilia asked, holding out her hand.

"Um, which one?"

Their Christmas tree had a rather rustic woodland theme, many of their ornaments being white or brown. Most were handmade and wooden, all looking really nice against the green natural tree that they had picked out together.

"Em, they're all the same. Just hand me one." The pinecone was put in her hand, Emilia placing it on the tree and stepping back to survey it.

"The star, please."

Embry handed it over, Emilia standing on her tip toes to place it on top. Embry smiled at he watched his imprint, placing his hands on her hips to help steady her. Emilia turned her head, smiling when she met Embry's eyes. They kissed, Emilia pulling away too fast for Embry's liking.

"Okay. It's done."

Embry laughed as he looked at the tree. "It's beautiful, Lia."

"Perfect for us." Emilia said, leaning back into Embry's chest. Embry's hands snaked around her belly, his hand rubbing over her stomach.

"Can you believe that by this time next year we'll have a kid running around here?"

"No. I'm carrying him and I can't believe it."

"Her."

"Him."

"I'm not having this argument again."

Emilia laughed, checking her phone. "Em, get the cookies. I'm craving some."

He all but ran to the kitchen at the word craving. Emilia laughed, sitting down and reading over the message Emily had sent.

Wolf Mom: Christmas day is at our place as usual! I expect all of you without plans at noon.

Emilia replied a simple okay before looking over to her fiancé as he handed her a plate full of cookies.

"Thank you." She sang, taking a bite out of one.

"So, when do you want to tell everyone?"

Emilia shrugged. "After the whole Volturi thing?"

"Your wish is my command." Embry laid next to Emilia, setting his head in her lap as she finished her cookie.

"Em?"

"Hmm?"

"What do you think will happen during the meeting?"

"What do you mean?"

"Do you think we'll fight? And that's why Alice left?"

Embry shook his head. "No. I think Alice and Jasper went looking for something. They wouldn't leave for no reason."

"I don't want to leave you."

"You won't. I won't let you. You promised to stay, remember?"

Emilia laughed at the memory of the day she came back from New Orleans. The day Embry proposed.

"I did. And I intend to stay."

"That's so cute." A voice sounded from the doorway, the two jumping at the sight of Marcel.

"Marcel! You scared the shit out of me!" Emilia threw a pillow at his head, Marcel laughing.

"How long were you there?" Embry asked, Marcel shrugging.

"Long enough to hear an extra heartbeat. How long?"

"A month." Emilia answered, Marcel smiling slightly.

"Damn, you guys work fast."

Emilia and Embry both turned red, looking away.

"Anyways, I'll be in Seattle tomorrow."

"Why?"

Marcel smirked. "Christmas dinner."

"You are disgusting."

"And you are pregnant and will have disgusting cravings. Don't judge."