Sunflower Extra: Second Meeting

Emilia didn't know what made her want to go to Forks that weekend, didn't know why she felt a pull to the small town inside of her. It had barely been two weeks since her last visit, yet every day she was away, the need to go back grew larger and larger. That Friday night, she couldn't sleep anyways and so she took the Volvo and started for Forks, despite her parents wishing she would wait until morning.

Nothing brought her more relief than seeing the 'Welcome to Forks' sign, the car automatically slowing while Emilia took in the town, rolling down the windows and smiling. It was late, too late for anyone to be out, but house lights were on and laughter could be heard from inside. She drove through the familiar streets, turning towards La Push instead of her home.

It was stupid, Emilia realized, foolish even to go to the beach so late at night. The beach was always cold during the day, and night would only make it worse. But for some reason, she wanted to be there, wanted to go see her spot and attempt to collect her thoughts. The closer she got to the beach, the faster she drove, parking the car haphazardly and jumping out when a random sense of urgency hit her.

She sprinted to her spot, looking around for someone she knew would not be there. She suddenly realized why she wanted to go to the beach and who she needed to see, her heart falling when she didn't see him.

Embry had taken over her every waking thought and every dream since their chance encounter two weeks prior. It was strange to Emilia, she barely knew the boy and she probably would never see him again. Yet, she couldn't help the way her heart fluttered at the thought of him and the way she blushed thinking of the way he smiled at her.

"So, you are real." Emilia's heartbeat sped up, her breath getting caught in her throat when she heard his voice. "I was beginning to think I dreamt you up."

"Funny, I thought the same about you." She replied, spinning on her heel to face him. Their eyes met, both taking the other in and both stepping closer to one another without realizing.

Embry chuckled, shaking his head. "What brings you back here so late?"

Emilia shrugged. "Just wanted to be away for a bit. What's your excuse?"

"Same thing." At that point, they were face to face, so close that they were almost touching and neither noticed, both too enthralled by the other to care.

"There's a diner here, serves breakfast only, but it's open 24 hours. They have pancakes the size of a pizza, if you're up for it?"

"Are you asking me on a date, Embry?"

Embry smirked slightly, his eyes glimmering under the moonlight. "Depends. Are you gonna say yes?"

"Hmmm." Emilia pretended to think, stepping away from him. "I've got nothing to lose." She began to walk towards the volvo, leaving Embry confused until she glanced back at him, a playful smile on her lips.

"You coming? You kinda are the only one who knows where this diner is out of the two of us." She called, the boy chuckling before jogging to catch up with her.

Once at the diner, Embry ordered five of the famously large pancakes, one regular, one blueberry, one chocolate chip, one strawberry, and one banana flavored. They sipped on milkshakes while waiting for their food, laughing the whole time.

By the time the pancakes arrived, their glasses were empty, both too busy talking to notice. Emilia took a small piece of each pancake, laughing when she saw the large slices Embry took for himself.

"My mom would kill me if I just left on a roadtrip randomly one night." Embry commented after finishing the last pancake, Emilia wiping her mouth with a napkin.

"My parents weren't happy with it, but they trust me enough to let me go. Besides, they know where I'll be and they have their ways of keeping track of me." She explained, Embry nodding.

"I wish my mom would trust me that way. Every time I leave the house, I swear she thinks I'm leaving to do drugs or something."

Emilia frowned at the way Embry looked down at his lap, taking his hand into hers and squeezing it. "You're her only child, Embry. She's just overprotective because you're all she has. Give her time."

"You're right." He squeezed her hand, glancing at the clock. "I should get home, she's probably so worried. Do you have plans tomorrow?"

"I'm guessing I will."

"Yeah, you will." Embry stood, setting some cash on the table. "Meet me at our spot at 2."

"Done." Emilia stood as well, taking out her phone. "But first, give me your number. Don't want to think you're a fever dream when I go back."

Embry laughed, taking the phone in his hand and quickly typing into it. "Probably a good idea."

"Probably what we should've done the day we first met." Emilia took her phone back, quickly texting him before she would forget.

Embry put his hands into his pockets, sheepishly looking around. "This first date go well enough for me to walk you to your car?"

Emilia laughed, nodding. "Went so well, you've earned two more."

"Just two?"

"And counting." Embry pumped his fist into the air, pretending to cheer while Emilia laughed at him. He threw his arm around her, leading her to her car and laughing with her.

"Well, this is it for tonight."

"You don't want a ride home?"

Embry shook his head, stepping away from her. "Nah. She'll question me even more if she sees your headlights and I don't want to jinx our relationship before it even starts."

Emilia opened her car door, turning back to him with a smile. "But I'll see you tomorrow?"

He held up his phone, shaking it slightly. "I'll text you."

"I'll be waiting for it."

Embry watched Emilia leave, grinning widely. He was still smiling when he ran into the woods and phased, rushing to his home. He was building something with his imprint, and that meant everything to him.