Chapter 9

"Confidence is what we get when we take fear, face it and replace it"

Emilia and Embry were at peace. After the tense night before, the two were sleeping like there was nothing else to do. It was well past noon when they were woken up by none other than Tiffany Call.

The woman went to check on Embry, as she did before heading to work. Usually, he wasn't there. She was frustrated with her son and his rebellious stage. She didn't mean to yell at him but it was hard when he disappeared for hours on end almost every day.

The worst part were the rumors of the 'cult' he supposedly was in. Her coworkers warned her about Sam Uley and how he 'corrupted' La Push youth yet she didn't believe them. She trusted Embry and his ability to know right from wrong.

Apparently she was wrong to do that as Embry seemed to be on steroids, had cut his hair, and gotten a tattoo after hanging out with Sam.

Right as she was about to go inside, Embry came out, yawning and shuffling to the bathroom. He paused before his mother, looking back at his door nervously.

"Hey mom, I didn't know you were still here."

Tiffany narrowed her eyes. "I got today off."

"That's good."

"Embry, what time did you get home last night?"

The boy shrugged. "I don't know, ten?"

"It was past midnight and you know it!" Tiffany rolled her eyes.

"I'm sorry, Mom. I was at Emily's, she made me dinner and Sam helped with my homework." The lie came easily out of his mouth.

"I am tired of your lies, Embry! Tell me the truth for God's sake!" As she rose her tone, Embry looked back to his door, nervously. He didn't want Emilia to wake to this.

"It is the truth!"

She scoffed. "I forbid you from hanging out with Sam anymore. He is clearly a bad influence on you if you can't be honest about what you did at his home!"

"Mom, listen to me!"

"No! You listen to me!"

Embry's eyes flickered back to his door, the glance not going unnoticed. Tiffany walked to the door, putting her hand on the knob.

"Mom?"

Tiffany locked her angry eyes onto Embry's as he held onto her wrist, stopping her. "What are you hiding?"

"Nothing! Nothing."

"Then let me go in."

"I can't do that."

"Why not?"

"Because it's a mess."

"Embry, your room is always a mess."

"It's worse today."

"Let go of me, Embry."

He hesitated. "Embry..."

Embry sighed but didn't relent, making Tiffany more upset.

She shook his hand off, pushing him back and barged in, freezing at the sight of the beautiful girl sleeping in his room.

Tiffany's mouth formed an 'o', her staring back at Embry.

He looked between his girlfriend and mother, pleading with his eyes for Tiffany to go. Tiffany looked at Emilia again before closing the door gently behind her, leading Embry to the kitchen.

"That's Emilia?"

Embry smiled, Tiffany noting the look in his eyes as he thought of the girl. "Yeah, that's Emilia."

Tiffany sighed. "Go wake her up. I'll make you guys some pancakes. I'd like to meet her."

Embry's grin grew. Finally the two most important people in his life would meet.

"Give me 15 minutes."

Embry shook his imprint awake, watching as she groaned softly, burying her face in his pillow. "Five more minutes."

Embry chuckled. "Mom's making us pancakes, babe. Get up."

Emilia jumped up, her eyes wide. "She knows I'm here?"

He nodded. "She came up here and saw you. She wants to meet you."

Emilia grabbed her overnight bag, motioning for Embry to open the door. "Bathroom?"

"First door to the right."

Emilia all but ran to the bathroom, locking the door. Once inside, she brushed her teeth and face to look a bit more alive. She brushed her hair, leaving it out in waves and changed her outfit before putting on perfume. She put on chapstick before exiting, heading back to Embry's room.

He smiled at his imprint, pulling her close. "Your heartbeat is faster."

"Yeah, well, I'm meeting your mom."

"It'll be fine. She'll love you, no doubt."

The couple kissed before Embry opened his bedroom door, offering Emilia his hand.

"Come on."

Tiffany looked up as her son descended down the steps with a girl clinging to his side. She noticed how Embry rubbed his thumb over the back of her hand while she looked at him, seeking comfort.

She set a plate of pancakes down, putting a bottle of syrup next to it.

"Mom, this is my girlfriend Emilia. Emilia, this is my mom Tiffany."

"It's nice to meet you, Ms. Call."

Tiffany smiled, sending a nod to Embry as a way of showing her approval. "Call me Tiffany. I've been waiting to meet the girl Embry won't stop talking about. Please sit down."

Emilia looked back at Embry who urged her forward. He pulled back her seat and then sat next to her, grabbing her hand under the table.

As the women spoke, Embry looked back and forth between them, smiling. He really was lucky to have both of them in his life.